PC Solder Pins

Scott216

Joined Jun 16, 2011
I'm interested in building the metal detector described in this PDF:
http://www.geotech1.com/pages/metdet/projects/matchless/matchless300c.pdf

In the bill of materials (page 5), they list "1mm diameter PC solder pins". These are used to connect various wires to the PCB. But I'm not sure what they mean by PC solder pins. Can anyone explain exactly what this is?

I found some pin receptacles on Digikey (P/N ED90096-ND). But I'm thinking I need a pin that sticks out, not a female receptacle, but I'm not sure.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I think those are only a convenience. Nothing plugs into them. They are just solder points. Are you crafty enough to pull the wire ends through the circuit board holes and solder directly to the copper on the backside of the board?

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
Convenient yes but useful in my opinion. They make great test points and wiring up pots, switches, sockets, etc, after the stripboard is fixed into position makes for a neater job.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I think those are only a convenience. Nothing plugs into them. They are just solder points. Are you crafty enough to pull the wire ends through the circuit board holes and solder directly to the copper on the backside of the board?
I would have thought that the neater option also?
Max.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Meh. Just an option in case Scott is in a big hurry to assemble this or the shipping time seems inconvenient.

Scott216

Joined Jun 16, 2011
Thanks for the info. The project will actually be built by some 9th graders with very little soldering experience. I'm just getting the parts for them.

k7elp60

Joined Nov 4, 2008
I use Vector T42-1, Digikey part number V1069-ND. They come in 100 and 1000 piece containers.
The require a .042 diameter hole, solder to the bottom of the board and have a slot and a hole for wires. There is a special tool also for inserting them ,but it is essentially a metal rod about 4 inches long and has a hole in one end that has been flattened a little so it is a oblong hole, that the terminals just fit in.
Ned