PC Monitor flashing horizontal white bars(~ 1 inch) during power on

Peter8519

Joined Nov 18, 2014
Hi All,
My Philips 202EL2 monitor is having the above problem lately. After a few minutes, this problem goes away.
I am suspecting some capacitors are going bad. I have examined both the power board and logic board, both are looking fine.
Any tips for identifying the cause of the problem is much appreciated.

Thanks.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
The caps are the first thing to look for. Remove them and measure their value. They can look ok but be low in value.
Also, cracks in the solder joints.

Peter8519

Joined Nov 18, 2014
The caps are the first thing to look for. Remove them and measure their value. They can look ok but be low in value.
Also, cracks in the solder joints.
I thought of using my spare capacitors that I bought a few years back for the repair.
Using Uni-T UT61 multimeter to measure capacitance readings. All figures are higher than specs.
E.g. a 1000uF 6.3V is measuring at ~1400uF. Are these capacitors still good?
I also use ESR meter to measure the resistance and all are less than 0.1ohm.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
I had small issues with my Acer 22" for months until one day the screen did not light up. Ended up being capacitors on power board. I opened it up after it stopped working, a few months after the problem started to manifest, by that time I had two capacitors with bulged tops. Replaced the caps, and it is still working.

Peter8519

Joined Nov 18, 2014
I managed to fix the monitor. It was a faulty a 1000uF 10V capacitor in the power board. The esr meter caught it at 0.85ohm.
As for the high ohm reading from the esr meter, I used too long a test lead.
Thanks.