pc boot problem

omaroski

Joined Jun 19, 2008
Help me see what's wrong with my personal computer.

It gets power and everything seems to be turning on but screen led is flashing.

I checked monitor and monitor (serial?) cable with other computers and they are ok.

Video card goes into an AGP slot, i checked voltages across some capacitors (the best thing i can do) and it seems to get regular power.
I swapped in another board but later i read that this slot is just for 1.5V hardware.
I connected an old hercules into PCI slot but no signal to the monitor still.

anotheruser1

Joined Dec 6, 2011
Help me see what's wrong with my personal computer.

It gets power and everything seems to be turning on but screen led is flashing.

I checked monitor and monitor (serial?) cable with other computers and they are ok.

Video card goes into an AGP slot, i checked voltages across some capacitors (the best thing i can do) and it seems to get regular power.
I swapped in another board but later i read that this slot is just for 1.5V hardware.
I connected an old hercules into PCI slot but no signal to the monitor still.
I would try a new graphics card. They are difficult to trouble shoot,and usually the problem.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Remove any cards other than the video card.
Try removing and re-installing your memory.
Measure the voltages coming from your power supply, which is likely an ATX or ATXplus12 form factor. Google "ATX form factor" to obtain the pinout for the mobo power connector.

If there are beeps, then you need to determine what BIOS you have installed (look on the mobo) and find a list of POST codes on the Web.

omaroski

Joined Jun 19, 2008
Forgot to mention that the tests above were done with just the video card plugged in and everything else disconnected (except RAM and CPU of course).

I don't hear any beep, maybe the CPU is failing to initialize itself?

About the power connector, it's the older 20 pin version. Will check voltages!

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I recently read that disconnecting all USB devices fixed this for someone...as in USB mouse and keyboard etc.

The screen LED flashing indicates that no video signal is being sent to the monitor, but I expect you already know this.

That's all I have.

Edit: I haven't heard a beep code for so long that I've been doubting they are still provided.

Last edited:

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
you may not get a beep code if low ram is not recognized. With ram/cpu only (no cards/key boar/drives/anything), you should get a beep code. If not, try replacing your ram with a known good one. If you still can't get a beep code, try replacing your power supply with a known good one, however your mobo is likely toast. Once you get a beep code, try your video. Oh, and just for the hell of it, make sure your speaker is plugged into the proper terminals.

omaroski

Joined Jun 19, 2008
I hear no beep and everything is disconnected except for CPU, video card and RAM.

Yes speaker is connected to the right pin on the motherboard.

It's not something new, it's probably 6-7 years old and can't remember if it used to beep on boot but i think yes.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
LOL! "Flat" means "worn out" in British.
and I think the right battery number is CR2032, but that's not important.
Just read the label on your battery for the right number.
I also think a worn out CMOS battery will not stop a compter from booting. It only makes the BIOS use the default settings.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I also think a worn out CMOS battery will not stop a compter from booting. It only makes the BIOS use the default settings.
or boot to the 'enter setup' option.

omaroski

Joined Jun 19, 2008
eheh, thought it was referred to the correct position inside battery receptacle!

omaroski

Joined Jun 19, 2008
Tried to connect the keyboard and push keys repetitevely, this should make it beep while booting, right? No beep however.

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
I had one with a similar problem; an IBM Thinkpad 2640 I think.
Upon disassembly, I found a fried IC (chip), about 1" square on the incoming power side.

Can you hear the HArd Drive spin up?

Gary

omaroski

Joined Jun 19, 2008
Yes i can hear the hard drive spin if connecting the power cable. I looked everywhere to find damaged components but they all look fine.