Passive components embedded in multi-layer PCBs?

circuitwazzup

Joined Nov 8, 2009
Hi,

I'm just wondering about Multi-Layer boards and what they entail. From what I can tell they are just layers of connections but the components are all on the outside of the board. But, after a quick google search I found terms like "embedded components in multi-layer boards" and "passive components in multi-layer PCB's"

Soooo.. my question is do most multi-layer boards these days have components in them or are the components on the outside.. And how would you troubleshoot a multilayer board? Is it even possible?? I highly doubt it.

rjenkins

Joined Nov 6, 2005
Components within boards are very rare.

The only 'integral' ones I have ever seen are printed resistors on some consumer gear, but on the surface of the board.

The worst in my opinin, though not within the board, are chip-on-board devices (with the silicon die directly mounted and bonded to the board & a blob of epoxy for covering)

Paulo540

Joined Nov 23, 2009
In my mind, multilayer boards exist to allow for more complex circuitry in a smaller footprint, plus you can have extra power and ground planes. I think the term "embedded" refers more to a class of prefab ICs and such that are programmed for a specific function from the factory.

If you were to insert passives between the layers of the board, I would assume you would run into all sorts of leakage/crosstalk etc issues.

Im not really an expert on the subject but I play one on TV. j/k