part time business

bradstormer

Joined Aug 6, 2010
hi all!
thinking of setting up a part time business to supplement my income. something that i could do from home. don't mind a bit of a laugh but some serious suggestions please!!
have a certificate in electronic engineering and communications. currently studying for my degree.
thanks for the help!!

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Walk the coast and pick up the crooked walking sticks.
They call them -I will sound It out. She-lay-le's.
I have given several away.P.m. me If you are serious.
They have to hardened wood,with a walking stick look,
makes good protection too. Leap-pre-cons. Like a seeing eye dog
they are legal to walk with,have seen people walking with them.

bradstormer

Joined Aug 6, 2010
ha ha very good my american friend, unfortunately those dam leprechauns already have a foothold in that sector and are just so darn ruthless!!
the only protection from those little menaces is the cold hardened steel of my 9mm berretta!!;)
besides was thinking of something a little more in line with my college qualification

Attachments

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
If you have a good reference,you need to be an Intern,If you are dressed right
and have a good resume,you are young and have not the time to get things
against you.So go to government or schools or any big business are always
looking for Interns.Don't pretend you know alot they will train you,just be nice and friendly.
Is that better. You are putting out a bad Image,the first thing they is check social
accounts. You need to be dancing In the clovers,Four leaf ones.

Last edited:

bradstormer

Joined Aug 6, 2010
sorry already have a full time government job, they sent me to college to study electronic engineering and military communications. its a good job but as with all government work, the pay ain't that great... was thinking of some sort of business that i could run from home in the evenings, like website development or something
sorry for the delay, was a little busy last night..

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Unless you are well-versed in web application design, I would stay away from web-design. Everyone and their brother is doing it these days, and it isn't very profitable.

What else are you good at? Do you have any artistic talent?

What can you ADD to your electronics and communications knowledge?

If you could sculpt, you may consider doing prop design for local film-makers or even small animated props for stores and advertisements.

With your communications knowledge, you could remotely control the props if needed..

That would be pretty interesting.

bradstormer

Joined Aug 6, 2010
that would be brill and i'm a serious movie buff but the film industry here is quiet small! have a back round in the military so maybe something for the paintball industry.. could be fun!

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I dont think it will matter how small it is. It can keep you quite busy for quite a long time. And once you make a name for yourself, well.. the base that will be choosing you aint so small anymore.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Or if you fancy a riskier venture, think of a circuit that you think people will buy, get it made up in China, or just get boards made there, and set yourself up a website.
You could be the next Sparkfun!

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
You could develop a device that induces happiness in women. Find the right frequency to trigger happiness in the female humane race and POOF.. your a millionaire!

;)

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
bradstormer, to address your original question, the burden is on you two do two key things:

1. Identify the things you love doing.
  2. Identify the things that other people need in your environment.
Then look for creative ways to make non-null intersections of these two sets. Coming up with a workable idea is not enough -- you also have to figure out how to sell it by finding the people who need it, letting them know about it, and generating a purchase desire in them (and do it better than others who compete with you). The technical stuff is easy for us technical types; the marketing and sales tend to be harder.

Before you do anything else, look for some training in starting a small business. In the US, local colleges often have classes offered in such things and the SBA (Small Business Administration) puts on numerous free seminars. You will need to learn all about the legal requirements of a small business, especially the taxes, permits, and local regulations. There are many hoops to jump through.

However, putting together a product and selling it while working can be rewarding, both emotionally and financially. A decade or so ago I learned of a software opportunity in helping physical therapists deal with the Medicare bureaucracy and made a good return on my time while I was working full time (I also made sure to get permission from my supervisor to ensure there was no conflict of interest).

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Have you ever sat thru library session Of S.B.A. and S.C.O.R.E. for 2-3
hours to have them say good luck to you My best business experiences
were before I attended for Invention Information. I agree with most,
don't go for patent and start your business small and the market will
come to you by word of mouths and just being where people can meet.
If you are in the service start a business out the gate entrance a lot
traffic passes every day.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I agree. There are webinars on the SBA information. SCORE seminars as well as TAX seminars for the sales taxes you may have to collect.

The IRS has some nessary small business information also.

Good luck to anyone starting their own business.

bradstormer

Joined Aug 6, 2010
how about a home automation system.
i could make a circuit to allow people to controll aspects of their homes when they are away via phone or email. also give them a remote controll so they can controll everything from their couch, tv, heating, lighting, alarm, even rig a camera up to the doorbell so they can put it on the tv screen..