Parallel port programmer..via USB not working!!!..PLZ help

itsingleefang

Joined Jun 26, 2010
Hey Everyone,

I have a problem using my Parallel Port programmer ..i mean to say is i have made a parallel port prog. and it works perfectly fine with lpt1 port in the computer..BUT ..the problem is that my computer doesn't have one(don't know why!) and also for my laptop..

But i bought a cable which like a USB printer Port like this(
http://www.wantong3w.com/upfile/catalogue03_UE-PA15PC_&_CC.pdf ) one and now when i connect to my PC or Laptop..via USB..it can't run the programmer on my board...and i think the problem is with port or programmer in Makefile..

Please can anyone help me out with this.
What should i put in port and programmer section in Makefile( of winAVR) ??

or any other suggestion..ASAP

Thanks.

just in case for PM: <snip>

Last edited by a moderator:

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
...and i think the problem is with port or programmer in Makefile..
It is widely accepted that most USB-Parallel converters do not work for PIC or AVR device programmer, mainly because of the timing of the virtual lpt port emulation by the USB driver.

Don't waste your time trying to rectify the problem because there isn't any easy solution. Some people have reported success using Parallel port via a PCMCIA card on a Laptop but it also depends on some PCMCIA card manufacturers. Some say a PCI card with Parallel and Serial port works but your mileage will vary.

As serial and parallel port have been mostly phased out on both desktop or laptop please consider using programmer that comes with USB interface.

For myself I always keep a laptop with both Serial and Parallel port, just in case.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I agree. And for the price of some USB programmers are pretty inexpensive. You can also find many circuits for USB programmers on the web.

Dont spend any more on adapters and such trying to get this thing to work. You will spend more then if you just got a USB programmer in the first place.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I agree. A cheap USB programmer may cost about the same as a USB converter unit. You can also build one self. But for such project you must get the MCU you use in the project programmed somehow.
But anyway two things are important. In order to use your USB/LPT converter you must install a driver. And also check the address/LPT port number that the unit end up with. As I am sure it will not be LPT1. Many drivers let you change this. So you may set it up to simulate LPT1 which is standard.