Parallel port breakout board

jchal3

Joined Dec 13, 2009
I have purchased a parallel port breakout board over the internet. It is supposed to keep a consistant 5V signal, and will run 5 axis. The problem is, that the website has no documentation. The board has the connections printed on it, but the actual terminals have been mounted in a way that covers the printing. I was hoping that someone with experience with these cards could help me out. I think I can tell which ones are for the actual step signals, and I see that some of them are input signals, but there is a terminal block tha has two two terminals. I don't know if this is meant for the e-stop circuit, or if it is for a 5vdc supply. I don't know if the 5vdc is supplied externally or is supplied through the Parallel port. I have attached some pictures of the board. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Unable to read the numbers on the ICs, or the printing on the board.

It appears there is a USB port to provide the +5V, but the outputs will NOT have very much in the ability of supplying current, probably 20mA/pin max at a guess, can't really guess more without clear pictures.

jchal3

Joined Dec 13, 2009
Thanks for the response

I am unable to read the printing on the board. You are saying that I need to have the parallel port, and the usb port plugged in in order to get the 5Vdc. The black box says the following.
JOC-3ff
5vdc-12s(551)
10amp 277VAC
12amp 125VAC

I have no idea what this means. I thought it would have a diagram with it when I bought it.

You can't read anything on the card even if the pictures were clear. I was hoping the configuration would be enough.
Thanks

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
The black box is a relay to switch an external circuit on/off.

I'm unsure about all of the terminal contacts around the periphery, again, without identifying the surface mount ICs, I can't even guess solidly what they are, could be a darlington array, something like a 4066 bilateral switch, or a serial in/parallel out register.

Please circle picture to identify ICs (U1, U2, etc), then type out what the numbers on each IC are.

I'm just guessing on the USB power, it may be a parallel OR USB breakout board, did it come with software?

jchal3

Joined Dec 13, 2009
Thanks for working with me. I'm going to do the best I can here to discribe what I am looking at. I have attached the picture I am referencing to the bottom of this post.

From left to right:
The flat black boxes are marked u23, u20, and u17
The number on them are: hc2445j, hc2445j, and 74hc14D

Directly under the parallel connector there are two thin tall black pieces. Once again left to right:
The first one is marked j1 but there is no marking on the part itself but has 5 soldered spots. The second is marked R1 and has a472j on the part itself. It has 9 soldered spots.

Below the black boxes there is another thin tall black piece. It is marked as j26 and the part is marked as a472j and has 5 soldered pieces.

Starting Left to right around the perimeter there are 5 blocks of four terminals. They are marked a,b,c,d,e. The four screws in each set are marked as en, dir, stp, com left to right. I understand the stp, dir, and com, but what about the EN?

On the right hand perimeter there is a block of 5 screws. Each screw is marked as IN something. They have individual numbers for each screw, but I can't read them becase the terminals are on top of the printing. The group is marked as J7 though.

Then on the right hand perimeter at the top there is a block of two terminals. They are marked as J31, but that is all the information I have on them.

I hope this shines some light on things for you. Thanks for you help

Attachments

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
The EN stands for "Enable", when low, the rest of the system that the enable is connected to ignores inputs.

Not sure what the HC2445j ICs are, are you sure that is the exact text? What are all 3 lines of letters/numbers?

The 7414 is a Schmitt trigger input hex inverter, those are found in tons of circuits because of their usefulness.

Seems to be a motor driver, but no clue as to power capabilities.

Sorry about not being able to give more insight.

I'm not so sure about the USB power, that looks like a USB host port. It may be simpler just to probe the terminals while you toggle outputs using whatever software you intend to use it with.

If this board is what I think it is (breakout board for a CNC machine) those mystery chips are probably opto-isolators. It provides step and direction outputs, driving motors is left to other boards.

jchal3

Joined Dec 13, 2009
Reaper,

That is exactly what it is. I'm sorry I thought I mentioned that in the opeing post. It is a breakout board for my stepper drivers for my CNC router. From what has been said, without anything in the "EN" terminal the signals from the parallel port will not be transfered to the driver. Is that correct? If this is the case, do I daisy chain a 5vdc supply around the "EN" terminals, and daisy chain the -5vdc around the common terminals?

sounds like it would make sense to me.

Once again I apologize for being unclear in the opening post.