paper due tomorrow

zepnbull

Joined Mar 5, 2012
does anyone know the answer to this true or false question?

the potential relay coil is in parallel with the start winding. -true or false

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Potential relay coil? What is that?
Start winding? Of what?

There is not enough information here about whatever you are talking about.

jimkeith

Joined Oct 26, 2011
A potential relay simply determines the presence of voltage potential across anything.
The start winding implies the use of an induction motor with a start winding that gets switched out when running.
Beyond that, we can only guess...

zepnbull

Joined Mar 5, 2012
man this forum is awesome and thanks for replying to my post. the teacher gave me an extension on my paper so that is good. but what is bad is i am still in the dark on a bunch of it. the questions are true and false and are worth a good amount of points if answered correctly.
1-the run winding is in series with the start winding.
2-the run capacitor is in parallel with the run winding.
3-the start capacitors in series with the start winding.
4.the run capacitor is in series with the start winding.
5-the potential relay contacts are in parallel with the run capacitor.
6-the potential relay coil is in parallel with the start windings.
7-the potential relay coil is in parallel with the run capacitor.
8-the run winding is in series with the run capacitor.
12-the run winding is directly connected to the source.
13-the start winding is isolated from being directly connected to source by the run and/or start capacitor(s)

if you know any of these and are not disgusted by me asking the answers please let me know what you think. ive only been in school 7 weeks now-electrical basics. and its going ok but these questions have me in a bind.

zepnbull

Joined Mar 5, 2012
Hello,

When did you get the assignment?
What have you done yourself to get a solution?

Bertus
i got the paper yesterday morning. the teacher was sympathetic to me and gave me one more day to turn it in. my school book is Refidgeration and air conditioning technology,sixth edition. by bill whitman,John Tomczyk,Bill johnson and Eugene Silberstein.
the chapter is section 4-basic motors. the book contains plenty of info on motors,relays,etc. but as far as it saying whether or not they are in parallel or series etc. its difficult to pin down the correct answer.