Paper Business cards ?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Getting away from the magnetic cards / bar-codes stuff.

Question 1)
If I want to make very nice business cards for customers
What type of printing machine / hardware would I need.
Could a regular computer printer (laser or inkjet ) make these cards or will I need some other devices ?

What paper is most commonly used for this.

I have seen some really nice business cards that feel more like cardboard then paper.... or at least they feel alot more stronger (won't bend as easy)

Question 2)
If I up for not making paper / cardboard business cards
Is their any special hardware to create plastic based cards ?
And the ability to print pictures on them.

Question 3)
What paper should I buy / or is usually used to make them?

Check the internet for 'wholesale printers' in your country. It's the way to go. Cards are ganged with other jobs and printed economically by the wholesale printer in very large sheet sizes. If you require short runs only (say, fewer that 200), it might be worthwhile printing the cards yourself instead. Any good modern-day inkjet printer with a relatively 'straight' paper path will suffice for printing onto 'heavy weight' plastic and cardboard. Google 'inkjet film' and 'inkjet business card stock'. Aim to find a paper/plastic/ink combination that will dry waterproof. Good luck.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I bought the bulk sized cards a while back. They are not as economical as using a professional printer, but any decent inkjet can make good quality business cards with this stock. Basically it is 10 cards on a 8½X11 sheet, you rip them out after printing them.

Advantages, easy to modify and update. You are not stuck with huge stocks that are useless if something changes.

Disadvantages, relatively expensive, depending on printer can be slow to make, and then there is separation of the card stock afterwards. There will be perforation makes, but they are quite neat.

I used to print on both sides, nowdays I only do one. It is handy have a place to put notes sometimes.

I'll include on of my cards I print for my youth group chapter by way of example.

I have also used watermark styles, they can be quite striking.

I bought a rather large box last time. If you PM me an address I can send you 10 or so (or more) to play with.

Attachments

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I used Vista Print a while back. They do a fantastic job. For what they charge for cards, it is just not worth printing your own.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I used Vista Print a while back. They do a fantastic job. For what they charge for cards, it is just not worth printing your own.
VistaPrint actually has "free" business cards. The design choices are limited, and you have to say "no" to a bunch of add-ons, and the shipping is between five and six bucks, and they have a VistaPrint promo on the back, but are good enough for some purposes.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Vista Print is good.

The coolest card I've seen was some form of plastic, about half the thickness of a credit card and semi-flexible. Printed in full hi-res color with picture of guy and QR code on the back for email and web stuff. It impressive and wasn't forgotten, and I'm sure they aren't cheap.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Thanks Bill for the example I may up to print my own and that seems like a good way to do it. Question is their some way I can print on plastic / make plastic cards and what paper where you useing to print on.

About Vista printing .... how much do they usually charge ... and can I just design the card on my computer and somehow email/upload the design to them?

Does Vista printing allow you to make plastic business cards as well ....

What is the extent at which they allow you to customize your card can you put images and text ...etc on the card or do they restrict from something.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Thanks Bill for the example I may up to print my own and that seems like a good way to do it. Question is their some way I can print on plastic / make plastic cards and what paper where you useing to print on.

About Vista printing .... how much do they usually charge ... and can I just design the card on my computer and somehow email/upload the design to them?

Does Vista printing allow you to make plastic business cards as well ....

What is the extent at which they allow you to customize your card can you put images and text ...etc on the card or do they restrict from something.
You could make paper cards then laminate them.

Maybe you should just check their website?

http://www.vistaprint.com

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Ok, but what machines would they use to make the cards and would it be possible to buy those machines?

Also I know you can buy blank plastic cards but can you buy a machine that prints on those or laminates pictures on those?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Ok, but what machines would they use to make the cards and would it be possible to buy those machines?

Also I know you can buy blank plastic cards but can you buy a machine that prints on those or laminates pictures on those?
Of course printing companies do it. Are you ready to invest a few thousand dollars in an offset printing machine?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Well know just wondering if somebody could provide a link to a machine on amazon or other sites where you could buy it if you wanted to spend thousands of dollars.
One that can do laminate , plastic , and paper cards
Also if for the plastic it could do embroidering .

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Well know just wondering if somebody could provide a link to a machine on amazon or other sites where you could buy it if you wanted to spend thousands of dollars.
One that can do laminate , plastic , and paper cards
Also if for the plastic it could do embroidering .
Is it possible that you meant embossing rather than embroidering?

hgmjr

adam68

Joined Jan 25, 2012
I tink the best way to get a business cards is to make it unique and get it proffesionaly made. I got stuck on what to put on and how it should look, but then stumbled on a website called Cards Made Easy. I never looked back and oredered more beacuse I keep them with me all the time :)

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
There is NO point/benefit from printing your own..unless you want to get into that business.. vistaprint and others will do like 250 for as low as $10.

Just go to ebay..search for "paper cutter" and look for the hydraulic machines starting at $2K and going up from there. They will take a huge stack at a time, clamp them down and shear them to size.
stuff like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Multigraphi...045?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab3202085

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I will refute that statement, by doing your own you get exactly what you want. I've been doing it for decades for a lot less that $10. That and you get to experiment with different styles to fine tune what you want. What if you want one of a kind, as in a membership card?

You get color, you don't need to pick from a limited menu of choices, and you are not dependent on other people.

Last edited:

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Single membership cards,etc.. are a different story. You can buy "pre perforated" 8.5 x 11" sheets that you can print on and get a laminator with sleeves premade for business cards and your are done. OR many people/companies buy preprinted business cards from a pro and just leave off the name..then you can feed it into your printer and just add the name and voila done.. They even have personal printers for that specific task too.

Of course Bill doesn't count his time spend as I can guarantee he cannot print 250 professional cards via his process (and include his time spent) for less that $10..

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
There are advantages to cards made by prints shops, but given the low costs of either technique, it becomes a matter of preference. As with many things in life, there is no "right" way, it is dependent on what you want.

If you want quick and dirty, then by all means buy off the shelf.

If you are picky and don't mind doing the art (or even want to do the art) then DIY may be for you.

There are levels in between, such as the embossing that was talked about.

It is usually a mistake to assume your way is the only correct way though.