Paper Business cards ?

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I think what you'll find is that business cards are a 'fill in' for otherwise idle equipment. Digital sheet copiers will run into the $100Ks, then add any finishing equipement. You could probably find Offset (in it's many forms) equipement much cheaper, but it's a highly skilled process. My suspiscion is that you'll find the high end brochures justify the capital outlay, and business cards fill the gaps. Quality cards are coated, you can't do that with an inkjet.

I do some work for a label printer, and thier new plate machine was $350K.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Single membership cards,etc.. are a different story. You can buy "pre perforated" 8.5 x 11" sheets that you can print on and get a laminator with sleeves premade for business cards and your are done. OR many people/companies buy preprinted business cards from a pro and just leave off the name..then you can feed it into your printer and just add the name and voila done.. They even have personal printers for that specific task too.

Of course Bill doesn't count his time spend as I can guarantee he cannot print 250 professional cards via his process (and include his time spent) for less that $10..
The other problem, is that unless they are laminated, when inkjet cards get damp the colors run.

Offset printed cards don't run/blur if dropped onto a wet sidewalk or sink or whatever.

I believe something like that badge printer that goes edge to edge makes the most long lasting impression, and that is typically what somebody is going for when giving out business cards. People will keep them just to show off how nifty they are.

The trick is to be more select to who you give the nice cards to, and the casual browser/inquirer gets the pre-printed paper, larger opportunities get the thin plastic that really "pops", and when somebody is trying to remember who does what, that card will pop in their mind even years later.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
HP does, Cannon doesn't. Depends on the brand of ink. For a while I would test a printer by taking the output to a sink. I'm sure people thought I was weird (maybe I am).

If I were out to impress I would make up a sample of what a want, along with a thumb drive of the graphics, then go to a printer.