Panasonic Ni-Cd recgargeable battery life time and charging topology circuit

Hasan2019

Joined Sep 5, 2019
Hi There,
I got a part of vacuam cleaner machine driven by DC charger. May be it was manufactured in 2018.
User might through it away because it was troubling.

9 pcs of P-130SCS 1.2V 1300mAh has joined togeter to get 1.2×9 Vdc.
https://www.digikey.in/product-detail/en/panasonic-bsg/P-130SCS-A06/P162-ND/530492
20210315_160150-min.jpg

Basically it was using for drive a 9 v DC motor. Manufacturer recommended to plug it with 9V/300mA charger for use it 8 hrs, may be charging time was for 15 mins.

1. Does it risky to use this battery after a long time?
2.It may damaged?
3. How can I charge it with another way?
4. Take a look the charging and discharing circuit and battery bundle.

Recommend me any safe mode charing topology or particular circuit.
Hope you will help

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Recommend me any safe mode charing topology or particular circuit.
You should access the terminals of each battery and charge the cells individually.

All battery packs are problematic. A weak cell will be killed by the stronger cells. Driving a cell to reverse voltage is the end of it.

Battery University will have more info.

Hasan2019

Joined Sep 5, 2019
You should access the terminals of each battery and charge the cells individually.

All battery packs are problematic. A weak cell will be killed by the stronger cells. Driving a cell to reverse voltage is the end of it.

Battery University will have more info.
Resonable suggestion. But my intention may not be achivable because I want to make a charger light or charger fan. Do you think any of battery can be damage since all are in back to back series? If so then I will remove them, try good one to charge. Could you post a suitsble circuit for it?
I have a 4.7 v Lithium battery charger made by LM358.
My posted circuit might be a voltage detector. Used after chager.

Hasan2019

Joined Sep 5, 2019
I have 3 chargers , let me know which one is best. Some has lost their stability.

1. 9 v /800mA ( witten as 6v/300mA
2. 10 v/ 880mA( written as 7.5V/300mA)
3. 12 v/900mA.

For whole battery pack those are not suitable you said.

I also have a 1.2 v/550mA Li-MH charger.

Could you calculate and suggest better one.

Hasan2019

Joined Sep 5, 2019
Check this charger to see if it will also do NiCd; some will. Otherwise, you need a NiCd charger.

Charging NiCd, or any battery for that matter, isn't just a matter of applying a voltage and hoping for the best. NiCd will take some abuse, but others will explode and/or catch fire.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_nickel_based_batteries
Sayno 1400 twicell needs 1.2v /550mA and that battery is 1100mAh, in this case charging time will be 2 hrs.

If its 1300mAh then charging time will be 2.5 hrs.

Dont you think I could use that charger just for single battery? It wont be a quick charger?

One funny fact is I have one 6v Ni-Cd pack of 5 pcs works with 9V charger. Chaging current is nearly 800mA.

Still its not blown away, charge run out time is very short.

Even in Mosquitoes bat circuits DC battery run out quickly.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Sayno 1400 twicell needs 1.2v /550mA and that battery is 1100mAh, in this case charging time will be 2 hrs.

If its 1300mAh then charging time will be 2.5 hrs.

Dont you think I could use that charger just for single battery? It wont be a quick charger?
Charge rate isn't linear.