Pan head screws vs flat head screws

alphacat

Joined Jun 6, 2009
Hey,

I wanted please to ask you guys a question.
Our product consists of three metallic pins - Live, Neutral and Earth.
These 3 pins are screwed into our plastic enclosure.
They can carry up to 16Arms which is drawn from the AC mains.

Will pan head screws handle such current better since there's more space for the electrons to flow through?
Or there's no difference between pan and flat head screws?

Thanks.

rspuzio

Joined Jan 19, 2009
The shape of the screw heads should not make much of
a difference as far as the electrical properties go. What is
important is that the pins and wires be thick enough for the
amount of current anticipated and that the surfaces in electrical
contact fit together well and be clean.

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Binder or pan head are most often used. Binder/binding has an even bigger head. Can you post a drawing of how your attachment works.

If the metal being connected is very thin relative to the height of the flat head, you will have a weak joint. What included angle of flat head are you using?

John

alphacat

Joined Jun 6, 2009
Hey,

Thanks alot for the help.

Here's how it all goes:

So is it indeed electrically important to have the heads as big as possible for the current to flow easily ?

Attachments

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
It appears that the screw carries no current, nor is it being used to connect a ring connector to a terminal. Thus, the main consideration is mechanical.

Flat head screws are commonly available in 82°, 90° (usually metric), and 100° (common for aircraft) included angles. Rarely, you might find 110° included angle. The 100° will give the most binding surface for thin sheet metal, hence its use in aircraft. Presumably, you are using something like a #8 or #10 screw.

You can find tables that show the minimum thickness needed for each screw size and head angle to prevent needing to countersink the mating or back surface. In your case, it is the plastic. I would avoid doing that, as it leads to a weaker joint.

Overall though, I don't see it an an electrical problem. Some main attachments are simply held in place with a barb and actually float a little in the plastic enclosure.

John

alphacat

Joined Jun 6, 2009
Hey John,
Thank you so much for this great info :)

I tried finding such tables but didnt encounter any.
Could you please direct me to such?