Painting PCBs before silk screen application using toner transfer method?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Does anyone paint their PCBs before applying the silkscreen using toner transfer method?

If so what do you use? I assume you would need a high temp paint like engine paint?

I was thinking of painting while to make the silkscreen more readable with the black toner.

I sure wish you could get white toner in the stores.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It is one of my many pending experiments. I don't know if the clear acrylic Krylon will dissolve toner or not, I will let you know. Of course, I am talking about doing after the transfer, it sounds like you want to do it before.

If it works let us know.

EB255GTX

Joined Apr 30, 2011
I do - standard acrylic spraycans seem to be fine, but high temp would only be better of course.

I tried enamel spraycans of a few colors a while ago (see attached) but as i normally use a glass paint on the copper side as a solder resist, i also tried using that on the non solder side as well since it is high temp, water based, cheap, and comes in a variety of colours (including white but i just use green for both sides). It works well but for single sided boards, toner straight on the fibreglass is quite high contrast (see pix)

Cheers
EB

Attachments