Pacemakers and welding

maxthehandyman

Joined Jul 27, 2012
Might it be possible to create a garment from fabric infused with conductive material which would act like a Faraday Cage to protect a pacemaker or ICD from EMI caused by welding equipment?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
There is a stage act where a guy wears a chain mail suit and plays with huge arcs of electricity. This demonstrates that it is possible but, I don't know if some copper threads in a shirt will do the job.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
This question has come up before, here. I am not about to tell you it would work, since your life could be at stake.

Last edited:

Rbeckett

Joined Sep 3, 2010
Most of the data reflects that it is not an issue, but the device vendors are still covering themselves by stating that you should not weld. I for one would rather die than not weld, so if I get a PM or ICD I'll let ya know if I have issues or not. I personally am willing to bet I dont. Thats a decision you will have to make based on what your health and conditons are. Talk to the guy who installed the part and see what his position is or if it hasn't been installed yet, ask for one that doesn't get affected if that is possible. Just sayin....
Bob

maxthehandyman

Joined Jul 27, 2012
@Rbeckett study by Gurevitz et al Aug 2003 in Pacing implies less danger than Mfgs and Cardiologists advise. I get the liability issue. There EMF shielding garments out there but when you ask the direct question about pacemakers and welding the line gets quiet.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Have you sometimes seen a quartz watch resetting or stop working from welding? Or approaching a high-tension line?

It takes a lot of EMF to knock off modern eletronics circuits.

I have made one SMPS circuit, where a control transformer is used as gate driver. It is very sensible, especially when running higher currents.

Means if I switch on my soldering station, the 12V bulb will go off! The EMF is picked up somewhere in the circuit, I guess in the control transformer.

Modern pacemakers actually are silicon based, not totally different from a quartz watch. I could not imagine any problems due to EMF.

However when I switch on arc welder transformer, said circuit does not become irritated. It has to be EMF with the right frequency. Imagine circuits that would need 50Hz EMF to get into trouble!

Q: Why is it not good practice to weld next to the welding power source?
A: Welding next to the welding power source increases your exposure the EMF due to the field located at the welder.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/education-center/welding-safety/pages/misc-welding-safety.aspx

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Our welding instructor had one put in about 6 months ago. He was warned about using a disk grinder, chainsaw and other things that vibrate a lot.
He made no mention about welders...

Last edited:

maxthehandyman

Joined Jul 27, 2012
Have you sometimes seen a quartz watch resetting or stop working from welding? Or approaching a high-tension line?

It takes a lot of EMF to knock off modern eletronics circuits.

I have made one SMPS circuit, where a control transformer is used as gate driver. It is very sensible, especially when running higher currents.

Means if I switch on my soldering station, the 12V bulb will go off! The EMF is picked up somewhere in the circuit, I guess in the control transformer.

Modern pacemakers actually are silicon based, not totally different from a quartz watch. I could not imagine any problems due to EMF.

However when I switch on arc welder transformer, said circuit does not become irritated. It has to be EMF with the right frequency. Imagine circuits that would need 50Hz EMF to get into trouble!

Q: Why is it not good practice to weld next to the welding power source?
A: Welding next to the welding power source increases your exposure the EMF due to the field located at the welder.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/education-center/welding-safety/pages/misc-welding-safety.aspx
Good point about watch however I do not know how similar they are

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I've worked on pacemakers in a previous job, they are basic CMOS circuits with an emphasis on lifespan (no pun intended).

They also promised us no CRGs (Customer Returned Goods), they lied! You don't want to know.