Oxygen Concentrator

ogg123

Joined Jul 16, 2014
Hey guys
I'm working on a simple pressure swing adsorption process for an oxygen concentrator and would like any suggestions on the type of control valves to use, the microcontroller to control them, and the power requirements. would be a massive help.
Thanks

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Probably need more info to be of any help. I have a picture of a tire pump with a relief valve like you plug into your cigarette lighter, but somehow I think you have something else in mind.:)

ogg123

Joined Jul 16, 2014
this is a close enough process diagram to what I intend. there will be a 4th valve at the final oxygen exit from the oxygen tank equipped with a pressure sensor (kind of like an oxygen conserving device) which opens up and allows a volume of gas depending on the amount of pressure detected to pass through. I would like a single controller for all 4 valves.
thanks.

Attachments

Alberto

Joined Nov 7, 2008
You will need minimum three presure sensors, to detect Pressure in tank 1 and tank 2 plus Pressure in the air supplier to tank 1. Which means minimum three inputs ( but I recommend to double this need for security). You have 4 valves so you will need 4 outputs to drive them ( also here, suggestion is to double them). So any controller with 8 inputs and 8 outputs will suite for this application, giving you some spare inputs/outputs for any future modification you will came across. ( for instance you may discover that you need to check temperature)

Cheers

Alberto

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
Interesting thread.

Every night, I have to be on an Oxy-Gen, before sleep.

Too many years of dangerous dusts, fumes, and acids; have eaten up my lungs.

Four years ago, one Dr. said I only have 1 year left.;):D

I've watched the technician swap out 3 different filters, but don't really know how it works.:confused:

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
I just loloked them up a little while ago, the zeolite absorbs nitrogen when pressurised, the oxygen is stored and the pressure is released on the zeolite, which vents its nitrogen back to the atmosphere. my mothr in law is on one of those and I was curious. I am just on a cpap darth vader mask at night. my father was a welder for years and smoked too, he needed oxygen too. led ot many strokes and emphasema.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
My MIL is on one of those generators as well. I was impressed and did some research on them a while back. My mother may need oxygen or CPAP soon and I asked about the generator for her, having seen how well it worked for my wife's mother. I was told that, unlike a cylinder of oxygen that you wheel around, you generally leave the generator in one spot and just trail a long plastic hose around as you move about your home. That presents a tripping hazard, and I was persuaded against it for my mother's situation.

If the OP is thinking of making his own, I'm reluctant to recommend that. What is the acceptable risk of failure? IF it's just about saving money, there might be other ways to find an economical alternative. For all I know, it might cost more to make your own than to just buy a used one.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
"I was told that, unlike a cylinder of oxygen that you wheel around, you generally leave the generator in one spot and just trail a long plastic hose around as you move about your home."

Yeah, that is all.

This is similar to the model I use.:

http://www.vitalitymedical.com/sequal-integra-10-ez-oxygen-concentrator.html

Sits next to my Lazyboy, and use it when I sleep.
Then, I use a two-wheeled cart, with two tanks, for portability.
At first, they set me up with 50 foot hoses.

Too much to deal with, when an instantaneous attack, happens.

When I mow, I use the one tank portable unit, tied to the bars.:D

It's the Nebulizer, that keeps my oxygen flowing, though.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
I have seen some concentrators that are portable, you hang them on a belt. I have no idea what brand or anything else. and the cpap dosnt concentrate oxygen, just pumps air. at least the kind I use.