Overheating battery on QTC torch

Aron0789

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Hey there,

I have created a circuit for a torch using quantum tunneling composite (QTC) as the switching mechanism while using a thyristor as a latch switch.

QTC is a smart material that is normally a perfect insulator but as you apply pressure it becomes a conductor.

http://s18.postimage.org/3vdwz0ck9/SAM_0093.jpg
This is the circuit.

its powered by a 12V 23mA n type battery and the circuit all works fine, it switches on and off no worries.

The issue is when the circuit is not used the battery gets really really hot and burns out with in a very short amount of time, the torch itself can be lit for over 26 hours.

I can only think the battery is being shorted but I cannot see where, unless the thyristor is allowing current to flow through striaght to the battery.

Can anyone spot the problem and help solve it?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Aron.

Aron0789

Joined Feb 25, 2013
The soldering is fine on the thyristor, there is no bridging, the bridging on the LEDs in ok as its just the solder flowing along the track

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
The issue is when the circuit is not used the battery gets really really hot and burns out with in a very short amount of time, the torch itself can be lit for over 26 hours.

I can only think the battery is being shorted but I cannot see where, unless the thyristor is allowing current to flow through striaght to the battery.
There is only one way a battery overheats and that is excessive current. I suspect the thyristor is not being turned off correctly or there is a current path through the parasitic diode.

Impossible to tell until you print the schematic you are using with component values.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I already made this mistake. The battery holder is cutting through the paint and shorting the battery. Put some black tape on the battery.

Aron0789

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Sussed it!

the battery shell is conductive, so when the circuit wasn't in use the current was flowing from the batter clips through the battery shell, causing the short.