oven trouble.. please help

Et@Work

Joined Nov 10, 2008
Defy 500 trouble.... I’ve just replaced an faulty single element on the bottom of the oven... it worked well. After about two weeks the oven started to trip the earth leakage; so I replaced the top element (double) + the thermostat-switch... only one of the top elements are working. Still it keeps on tripping direct on to the earth-leakage.. I’ve decided to disconnect the bottom element from the system to get an idea what is going on... whala... it is not tripping anymore, still only one element is working (without the bottom one) so I’ve tested the single bottom element with my tester on continuity and it give me a buzz witch I believe is right..But, when I reconnect the bottom element it is still tripping the power... Where do I go from here???

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The element is probably just fine, but one of the power leads has got leakage to the oven chassis. Could be worn insulation or a dirty insulating washer that mounts the heating element. You might also check to see if the element surface is still isolated from the actual heater inside (no continuity from either terminal to the outer surface of the element).

floomdoggle

Joined Sep 1, 2008
Hey ET,
If beenthere's solution doesn't work, check the specs on the new element, even though it may be from the same manufacturer it may be different. Course you could get a more efficient gas.
Dan