Outdoor security camera for home monitoring-based system

I know on one of my objectives is to catch who is dumping leaves into the yard. it is perfectly legal to do, BUT I'd rather the bags and them not to put the leaves on the good grass. I'd like it to be covert, like hidden in a birdhouse. Motion detecting. A state yardwaste site has cameras like these. They get pics of people/vehicles entering and leaving. Looks like a birdhouse.

One neighbor says it's not him, but could be someone that he "employs". I asked him to ask. He said he would. I asked for a yes response only.

I nailed one guy with my cell camera dumping illegal stuff.

I do have a Qnap 5TB server with surveilance station which accepts IP cameras. One instance enabled is free.

The other thing I would like is front door integration with doorbell, lock (Access control) and a Samsung System 6 TV.
Samsun Smart things and IFTT MIGHT be able to control the TV. Would like mute on doorbell and telephone.
Would like for someone who cannot get out of bed see who is at the door and let them in. The person, my mom in bed really doesn;t need a phone and it's difficult for her to use.

Complications:

Never used computers; doesn't want to; Arthritus and no fingerprints make it difficult ot use small things,

Commercial caregivers may not like to add an app to their "work" phone.

We had hospice for a while. They had set 2x a week times for about an hour and a nurse visit for about an hour every week scheduled.

We still have an agency that comes 1-3x a week for a few hours at a time if we are lucky. It's not the same person every time. I'm sure thy lifted a debit card and charged >$4000.00. Federally mandated they have to check-in/check-out with a GPS enabled application on their phone or use the residence phone.

Then, there is meals on wheels which has a wide window. They either have to have someone at the door to accept the meal or they are given permission to enter the house. Person varies on a daily basis. They will not leave food outside. With COVID-19, food is bagged and placed on the floor so there is no contact.

There were random clergy visits.

Doctor visits to the home.

The possibility of a RING doorbell and/or locks/video by August lock and Alexa seem intriguing.
Phone rings - mute TV; phone goes off-hook - mute TV
Doorbell rings/motion sensing
----Mute TV
----"automagically" "show" who is at the door

Would like to incorporate PIN codes, possibly bluetooth and caregiver schedules. Lock/unlock with a simple remote control seems reasonable too. eg person calls via their cell phone and gets let in.

Mailbox? USPS delivery and the other carriers. UPS leaves packages at the back door usually. Occasionally, I get stuff that requires a signature. Then there is Jehova's witnesses.

Vertical Blind controls: I'd like to do something there too. Nothing seems to do exactly what you want. The track needs to be replaced and automated. There is way too much friction. Would like OPEN/CLOSE to be one operation. If closed, OPEN would be rotate slats to 90 deg position and move to OPEN. If OPEN, CLOSE would be rotate to 90 deg position. Move to CLOSED.

Would like a wall control with at least the following. One push of the button when stopped would start curtain in current direction. When a limit is reached, blind would stop and set current direction to opposite. If moving, the blinds would stop in place, next direction would not change. Two quick pushed while the blinds were moving would result in a stop, wait and reverse.

Close x-min after dusk and open at 8:00a would be the normal mode of operation.

"Nurse call" revolves around a baby monitor and a cordless phone with intercom functionality. The baby unit sits near a mostly unused phone and monitors the "ring" in two locations. My bedroom and the laundry room. The bedroom unit is mobile and can be taken outside. I can distinguish from an inside and outside call.

Plans are to add a large visual interface in my bedroom. I'm planning a magnetic connector to the baby monitor to a LED detector. This will monitor the sound intensity LED on the baby monitor and activate a brighter LED across the room.
Eventually, I would like to differentiate front door bell, rear doorbell, nurse call, phone ringing and off hook. PERS(medical pendant) could be another indicated response.

I tried large LEDs from China and they were too bright. This is what I want for my bedroom. Get a visual while wearing headphones and watching the laptop.

I have a 24 port 1000bT POE switch that needs to go into service. I also have a triple A/B RJ11 Gigabit RS232 controlled switch that needs to go into service too. This would be used to swap a DSL modem configured in bridge to stand-alone and possibly make a fixed port connect to the network or to the output of the stand-alone modem. I just need an easy way to troubleshoot.

I finally managed to run the DSL modem off of POE. You know how hard it is to find a 3.5mm/1.2mm DC power plug? order now. Backordered to September 2020. This is one of those stupid deals where Actiontec, the maker of the modem refers all questions to the ISP - Verizon and apparently neither know what the size of the connector is. My POE adapter is 5.5/2.1 C+, right angle with a really short DC cord.

I also have to move the UPS and connect it to the network stuff and set-up shutdown with my Qnap server.

I have the patch panels mounted that would accomodate telco and 1000bT Ethernet. Nothing is connected. There are plastic inserts that convert RJ45's to 6P6C RJ11's.

The ultimate minimalistic connection isto connect a modem direct to the NID outside with the house and splitter removed from any issues.

What I really want is a system that could detect off-hook and not talking for a pre-determined amount of time. I'mm settling with a commercial device that relay interfaces with a LED on top of the TV that shows off hook and ringing. It can do voice mail checking if you have it.

My business partner wants to choose the technology of indoor positioning system you'll see it here but, of course, I have a different opinion. This news will chock him. These measures will stimulate our sales... At the same, I have one question. How effective is this technology?

Last edited by a moderator:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Getting ready to add another camera to the Zoneminder system for a better overall front of house view. This one (wired with POE) looks pretty good from reviews but will need to see what I can do with it outside of camera app. RSTP seems to work and that's what I need for video capture into my system.

RSTP
https://reolink.com/blog/what-is-rtsp/

Last edited: