oscope probe

joe.08

Joined Jan 30, 2007
Just curious if anyone knows where to buy some scope probes (preferably brick/mortar store in Virginia beach area but internet will due)

the only place i could think of was radio shack but they dont have them on their site so im guessing they dont carry them at their stores

joe.08

Joined Jan 30, 2007
Thanks, i have only ever thought of mouser as a component resource.

The Navy brought me here 6 years ago (NAS Oceana) and I decided to stay.
From what Ive learned talking with the locals about the development here during the 70s, 80s, 90s this place used to be the ocean front and thats about it.
Now the "Downtown" area is in the middle of the city where 10 or 20 years ago was just farm land.

anyway, I'll look at mouser thanks

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Pomona is a pretty good brand.
Don't know what kind of bandwidth you're looking for, but I picked up a set of eight 100MHz probes on E-bay for around $90 including shipping a few years ago. I like to have some spares floating around. Apparently they were made in China, but seem to be pretty decent.

Been a long time since I was aboard NAS Oceana.

joe.08

Joined Jan 30, 2007
well as far as bandwidth Ive got the 60MHz version of this

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/ezdigital/os5040a_5060a.htm

Out of all the different scopes Ive used Ive never payed any attention to the bandwidth, so Im guessing that as long as the probes BW is =/> the scopes BW Ill be alright.

I guess Im gonna go with ebay too, or at least consider it my #1 option untill I can get some more input (for probes on the cheap). Maybe I can con my school into donating me some

As far as NAS very little has changed, depending on when the last time your were there. They modernized the front and back gates (with proper MG nests and pop up barriers), the E club no longer has beer on tap and they stopped serving liquor, and AIMD changed its moniker too something that no one can remember or pronounce (something along the lines of comfltnavairmaintblahblahblah..., seriously its freaking long and not necessarily that simple ).

\

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Just did a search, came up with this auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Brand-New-100...yZ104247QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
$46 including shipping for 4 100MHz probes if you win. I think that's the same guy I got my probes from. The product looks just like what I have. They're not the high quality that the Pomona probes are, but they seem to work fine.

As far as NAS very little has changed, depending on when the last time your were there. They modernized the front and back gates (with proper MG nests and pop up barriers), the E club no longer has beer on tap and they stopped serving liquor, and AIMD changed its moniker too something that no one can remember or pronounce (something along the lines of comfltnavairmaintblahblahblah..., seriously its freaking long and not necessarily that simple ).
Yeah, they seem to like to stretch out names lately. Wonder what's up with that?

As far as the changes - well, it would seem completely changed. Last time was the spring of '76. Our F-4J squadron hopped from MCAS Beaufort to Oceana before jumping on El Zippo/FID/CV-59 with CVW-17. F/A-18's weren't in the fleet in serious numbers until 10 years later. Seems to me they first were out around '83.

Last edited:

joe.08

Joined Jan 30, 2007
would I need to worry about compatibility?

its mentioned in the description that they are compatible with "most of Tektronix or HP(Agilent) O'scopes".

Ive never considered this as most scopes ive ever used had the probes with them or Id just reach in a drawer and pull out whatever probe had all its pieces

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
They're a standard BNC connector, with trimmer caps. They should work fine with most 'scopes.
Oh, sometimes the trimmer adj screw isn't aligned very well with the adj hole. Can make it a pain to tweak, but it's not like you have to do it very often. That's about my only gripe with them.

joe.08

Joined Jan 30, 2007
Im gonna ask a guy i go to school with if he wants to go in on set or a pair (he got the same scope at the same time for the same low low price of $0.00, perfectly legal :cool:)

"As far as the changes - well, it would seem completely changed. Last time was the spring of '76"

Man you'd be surprised theyre still using those barracks from Like the 50s or 60s that were near the flight line with the bomb or fall out shelters in their basements. The newest buildings are a few hangers the NEX new medical/dental ( the old ones a BEQ now), and handfull of other barracks. seriously that base was the oldest "looking" Id seen.

anyway thanks for the input