Oscilloscopes

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
I recently bought a Uni-T UTD2102CEL that I'm pretty happy with. Lots of people on eBay sell them. It's good for the money I paid.

SPQR

Joined Nov 4, 2011
This coming year I'm probably going to buy an oscilloscope, and have looked at most of the oscilloscope posts on this forum.

I have no problem buying a nice digital, as has been recommended (>100mHz, >=2 channel), and I don't have a problem buying a Tektronix analog with the same capabilities.

A recent post by a member got me thinking about the difference between the analog and digital types.
He posted a series of cycles of a MOSFET ringing, and if I had to bet, he "captured" the screen and hit a button to have it printed directly to his printer, moved to his computer for printing, or saved on the scope or his computer as a jpeg.

Would I be able to do that on the Tektronix analog oscilloscope?

Rbeckett

Joined Sep 3, 2010
I bought a used Beckman 2 trace and sig generator for less than 100.00 bucks. Good versatility and plenty of capability. Look around on Ebay and CL and see what comes up nearby. Rather than spending 200 CAN $ on a single channel glorified DVM. Just my thoughts.
Bob

tinkerman

Joined Jul 22, 2012
With the digital scopes how fast and how much memory is required. My laptop which I don't use very much anymore is older and rather slow. I know, I know, I should upgrade. :)

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
get something that isn't useless:
I love Tektronics. Own two of them and could not live without my 476, but none of these can do what even a $350 modern DSO can do. If you need the features a modern scope has, you just cannot get them with any of these you have listed. But you'll still get a great scope.

followed your link...
Item location: Guangdong, China... :p 'nuff said...
Ah..., yeah. So, exactly what does this mean?

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
With the digital scopes how fast and how much memory is required. My laptop which I don't use very much anymore is older and rather slow. I know, I know, I should upgrade. :)
As much speed and memory as you can afford. Both are desirable attributes and there is no such thing a too much of either, until your funds run out. My application is microcontrollers, so the UTD2102CEL I got is more than ample, for now. However, anything less than a $35K Agilent DSA81304B or Tek DSA70804 wonder scope would be fairly useless for diagnosing modern PCs or high speed CPLD based products.

Balance it with your needs and funding.