Oscilloscope

Lazza

Joined Nov 8, 2011
I was working through my oscilloscope manual and for some reason I have lost the signal completely. Is it possible the signal source has burnt out. It is a few years old. I would love to bring the signal back up again and continue with my adjustments. Any ideas on how I can achieve this?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Try pressing the "Beam Finder" button, if it has one. You may have adjusted the trace position so that it is off the scope.

If you changed the trigger, try setting the level to "auto".

Clip the probe on the test output jack, and try decreasing or increasing the V/div.

Make certain you didn't turn the intensity all the way down.

Since we don't know what scope you have, it's going to be a bit tough to tell you exactly what you need to do.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
I presume it is an analog scope...

In which case try turning on ground coupling (if available) and moving the trace position control. If there is no ground coupling option, disconnect the input.

Many scopes have a CAL output, 1kHz 100mVp-p or 1Vp-p; try using that to test the scope.

What signal source were you using, and do you have any reason to suspect it has failed?

Lazza

Joined Nov 8, 2011
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for trying to help me out. Ive attached a photo. Hope it works. Its the DF4320 oscilloscope..it has three available modes including Auto, normal single trigger and TV field synchronization function.

Lazza

Attachments

Lazza

Joined Nov 8, 2011
Thanks for all your feedback...here's the status

Channel 2 is now back online, not perfect but regardless still no Channel 1. If calibrated without a source could that have made my signals disappear? Is there a way to bring them back? When a source is turned on there is something there but the solid straight line that was once there is now gone.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Can you say what you did to get a trace back on?
Can you post another photo so we can see exactly how your scope is set up including all cables plugged in?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Under MODE, press ALT.

In the "vertical" section, the row of "MODE" buttons:
CH1 - means display only channel 1.
CH2 - means display only channel 2.
ALT - means alternate between displaying ch1 and ch2 - you usually want to use this mode when displaying both channels.
CHOP - means show both channels at the same time but alternate very quickly between the two. This mode can be useful if ch1 and ch2 must be displayed simultaneously.
ADD - display CH1 + CH2 as one trace.
CH2 norm/invert - most useful with ADD; when NORM display CH1 + (+CH2), when INVERT display CH1 + (-CH2) (in other words, subtract channel 2 from channel 1 and display the result).