Oscilloscope

Kenny

Joined Oct 11, 2004
This question is for all experimented electronics workers, hobbysts, designers, etc.
I am interested in to buy a cheap but broad range oscilloscope but I don't know what parameters must I pay attention.
I have seen 2 kind of oscilloscopes and I don't know which is the best choice.
1)A handheld oscilloscope with LCD display,RS232 interface,like Oszifox
2)A classical oscilloscope like Instek GOS-310 10MHz
OTOH, I have been studying some projects and one of them names a
double beam scope, are double beam the 2 choices.
I have basic electronics and repairing knowledge, and I am constantly study from
tutorials or good books like the Lessons by Kuphaldt, because my wish is to be a practical designer.
I want to use the scope for: learning the working of all circuits
(analogs and digitals), repairing TV,PC Monitors,(i.e. Measuring
the chroma RGB signals,the H/V sync signals,the H/V outputs,
the antenna signal,etc), RF Circuits, Stereo, etc.
I thank your help.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

An o'scope is about the best piece of test equipment you can have. It won't get used as much as a VOM, but you can't do anything with digital logic without one.

For most purposes, 100 MHz is a reasonably useful bandwidth. For working with digital logic, dual channel is really necessary. The 10 MHz scope you indicate is useful for all audio and video stuff, but digital takes more bandwidth. Look for a source of reconditioned scopes. An old Tek 465 - 475 would be a treasure (except that the switches in the 475 might be a cruddy as the one I last used).

Many years ago, I was trying to do some work with a Data products disk file. We had the ols USM-106 vacuum tube scopes, good enough for our old computer equipment. The DP-4045 used ECL logic, and the signals were completely invisible to the USM-106 because the bandwith was too low.

Try to get the best scope you can afford. Analog of digital is less important than bandwidth.

bipin

Joined Mar 21, 2004
:) Hi Kenny,
Its pleasure to meet you like people who are electronics enthusiastics, It pulls me back to my child hood and teenage when I used to seek information on electronics as a biginner.

As a good solution I would suggest you Tektronix TDS-210. it costs close to us$-1600/- in Indian market. I like the scope though its an LCD display.

bipin

Kenny

Joined Oct 11, 2004
Thanks all. I checked your recommended scopes, but my budget is
too low. However I could begin working with a very very cheap
scope, something like $300 or less. Can anyone recommend me
something acceptable for my learning and repairing needs.
I live in Colombia (South America), then I need that I can get it
here.

g-man

Joined Nov 1, 2004
Originally posted by Kenny@Oct 20 2004, 04:23 PM
here.
[post=3010]Quoted post[/post]​
I am not familiar with availability in Colombia, but I would check ebay
for a 100MHz Tektronix scope, as someone else had mentioned.
The 465 he mentioned is very good. Also great are the 22x6 series.
I have both. The 2246 is 4 channels and may be a bit high but
I think the 2236 is the two channel version. These give numeric
readout on the display which is really usefull.

You can also pick up a 7000 series lab scope in that price range. That
would alow you to play with different plugins. The 76xx series are cheap
and wonderful scopes. Shipping to SA could be a problem though.

The 22xx series are MUCH lighter than the others so that might just
be your best bet.

Good luck man.

Perion

Joined Oct 12, 2004
Originally posted by Kenny@Oct 20 2004, 06:23 PM
here.
[post=3010]Quoted post[/post]​
I saw a new BK Precision 2120B around $330 at testequipmentdepot.com. It's a very basic dual trace scope and many here may frown at me for even suggesting something with a bandwidth of only 30 MHz. The main thing is that this is a very basic but fairly functional, entry level, analog dual trace scope with a fairly affordable price range of $330 to $549 new. A pretty decent looking used version just sold on ebay yesterday for around $75. I mention this model just to give you some specific info on what can be had for a couple hundred dollars or less. You have to decide if the features are adequate. I spent a substantial portion of time in my early electronics pursuits gazing at a 10 Mhz single trace (used) scope. Made me appreciate the expensive stuff later on though I let my employer foot the bill now ;)

I frequently have my eye on ebay for deals on scopes and other e-stuff. If you do that for a while (just takes a few minutes a day) and briefly investigate the features of the various models being sold that day (Google search the model number) and their eventual final selling price you can get a feel for what you can get for your money. I don't know that I would actually buy an oscope off ebay though. You never know the real condition of the equipment before you buy it which for electronic test equipment is a big gamble IMO.

Good luck,

Perion