oscilloscope to measure RPM?

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
With your generator running at a somewhat steady speed, connect the oscilloscope to its output and if there is any repetitive waveform or spike, you can discern its period on the oscilloscope.
Turns per second = frequency = 1 / period. If you want turns per minute instead of per second, multiply by 60.
Miguel

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
If you have a photocell or photoresistor you could aim at the blades (assuming you have some daylight) you might get enough of a reflection to see on a scope.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
With your generator running at a somewhat steady speed, connect the oscilloscope to its output and if there is any repetitive waveform or spike, you can discern its period on the oscilloscope.
Turns per second = frequency = 1 / period. If you want turns per minute instead of per second, multiply by 60.
Miguel
Yes except that you may have to divide by the number of poles on the generator.

03GTS

Joined Jan 5, 2007
Does it output DC or AC voltage?
looks ac just by hooking up my multimeter to it. it reads 0 volts on DC. I am able to get a reading on AC

Miguel
will try this weekend

If you have a photocell or photoresistor you could aim at the blades (assuming you have some daylight) you might get enough of a reflection to see on a scope.
i dont. but will remember this for future reference thank you

Yes except that you may have to divide by the number of poles on the generator.
noted. thanks

will report back with what i find this weekend :)

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
If it is AC, use the scope to measure its frequency and then calculate the angular velocity by using:

ω=2*pi*f

If you want rpm=ω*60/2pi