Oscilloscope Selection

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I'm in the market for an oscilloscope for home use.

I decided a while ago that I have the following requirements:
  • >=100MHz bandwidth
  • digital storage oscilloscope
  • FFT functionality(doesn't need to be great)
  • can transfer data between computer(O-scope screenshot, primarily, but I've seen some that can send the sampled values which would be nice)
  • 2 channels minimum(can you get a 1 channel scope?)
  • cursors
  • I'd like to be able to pause and zoom on captured waveforms, but this isn't necessary

Additionally, since I don't have a waveform generator, I figured I'd get this bundle. I know spinnaker got the DS1102E oscilloscope a while back and has had pretty good things to say about it, right, spinnaker?

So, what are your thoughts on this bundle?

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Rigol and Atten/Signetics are the big two in that area.

About $450 for 100Mhz, 2 channels with a decent memory depth, add $150 for more memory, or each additional channel.

Most of the scopes in that range are made by either Rigol or Signetics and re-badged to Agilent or B&K precision, etc. The Atten brand seems pretty solid with good reviews, as does the Rigol.

All of them in that range can do math functions on a waveform.

I'd suggest getting the newer "Widescreen" versions, they are handy for more complex things, such as a pulse train, triggered by the other channel or external. It all fits on one screen.

Another feature I like, but not available on the $500-ish scopes is the record-playback, which lets you scroll back and play a seconds worth of waveform. A LOT of memory is needed for that, 2Mpts+, there is usually an extra knob to control it as well.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
They all have very similar "guts", so I would go for the one with the biggest screen.

I got a Hantek with 7" screen, 800x480 pixels. It works pretty good. Why live with a small screen and less on-screen detail?

I'm surprised they are still selling scopes with 5" screens with 320x240 pixels!

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I have to admit the inclusion of the waveform generator is a big plus for me... Especially with the arbitrary waveform generator. 25MHz, isn't much, but it is nice to be able to summon any signal I want in a moment's notice....

The scope itself doesn't seem like the best bang-for-the-buck, but it seems adequate...

I need to do some more research I suppose.

I've use(and fallen in love with) that function thatoneguy mentioned with the record-playback function.

I'm torn...

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Your list (FFT, Cursors, etc) in the OP covers the minimum that's in all DSOs on the market of any quality right now.

So add features you'd like. 100Mhz+ (1GSa/s +), A lot of memory (not a 4k point or something), big screen, etc.

Nice to have: MSO so Analog + logic at same time displayed is great, but not cheap.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
OWON DS7102V

Bought it by Christmas. Sole flaws: Only one (informative) screen comes in Polish (!) instead of Spanish but is so obvious that I can neglect it. The other is that the scope freezes when the cursors for timing are in a certain condition.

It seems to work OK for the rest, as far as I can see.

For few extra $ I bought it with VGA output.

Edit to add:

AFAIK the screen is the biggest in its class.

Last edited:

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
I must admit that this reflects some rather extreme prejudice, based on customer treatment by an Electronic test equipment company....

I have been using a B&K Precision 40 Mhz Dual, since roughly '84... I had some recent misgivings about its performance, so contacted B&K about a local [ upstate NY ] authorized location to get it "tuned up "
I was told that it was "obsolete" and then got [ one of ] the shocks of my life.
B&K lady on the other end of the line said she would send me the protocol to tune it up...

I not only got an exhaustive service procedure, but also the complete schematics covering several production runs, pcb trace and component layout, and parts lists !!

From that day forward, if B&K doesn't make it, I don't need it !!!

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Stumbling around the saelig website, I found this oscilloscope.
With 200MHz bandwidth, 8in. 800x600 pixel display, with waveform recording among all of the other requirements from before, this scope looks great! The only downside is that the other one comes with the arbitrary waveform generator....

I would have to convince the Mrs. to let me use more money, since I would like to also have a waveform generator and/or a good power supply....