Oscilloscope Repair

nDever

Joined Jan 13, 2011
Hey Guys,

I've got an HP 1741A 100MHz dual channel analog storage scope, and it was working relatively well until one day when I went to turn it on and there was no signal coming up. It takes a few moments to warm up anyway, but this was longer than usual. I popped the top to see if I could find anything, and I found this IC-like connector part missing a pin. It looks like some type of ribbon connector. Sorry for the lack of focus in the photos.

Anyone have any ideas or know where I can possibly get a replacement part? It's a good scope and I would like to save it if possible...

145445.jpg
145501.jpg

The persistence button is also loose, but I think that's just a fastener problem. Shouldn't be too much trouble.

145424.jpg
145434.jpg

dougc314

Joined Dec 20, 2013
If your scope was working there is no reason to suspect that you just lost a pin. As for spare parts you'll need a doner scope.
Do you see a trace?
If you adjust y position and x position to max and min, can you see anything? Is there a beam finder button? if so push it and see if you can get a dot.
Is there any indication of triggering? - Try Auto or line

What can happen to cause loss of trace
High voltage supply for CRT fails
Driver in X or Y deflection fails, causing trace to be off screen
CRT heater failure.
Sweep circuit fails (still get a dot though, usually)
Great news - Agilent has a PDF of the service manual
http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/01741-90911.pdf

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I have an HP1741A myself that I repaired (A capacitor exploded and corroded a large section of the timebase board), and I believe that ribbon connector/DIP socket is normal. It is most likely not the problem.

Was the scope acting strange before it stopped working? What exactly is it doing now? Are you sure the trace isn't simply off the screen? (Adjust both the vertical and horizontal position to see if you can locate it). Also try the beam finder.

A video would be extremely useful here.

Regards,
Matt

nDever

Joined Jan 13, 2011
Thanks for the insight, guys. I'm not at the workbench at the moment. I'll test it asap.

@DerStrom8
I don't recall it acting strangely before it stopped working.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Get set for some fun trouble shooting.
You will need some tools:

Service Manual, i.e. circuit diagrams
DMM
camera to post pictures
Do you have a working scope?:p

nDever

Joined Jan 13, 2011
Hey Guys,

I did bit of digging yesterday and it turned out that the DIP header was the problem! I also re-soldered some cold joints on some of the control pots. A big thanks to all.

092249.jpg

nDever

Joined Jan 13, 2011
OK guys,
I've got another problem and It's not my fault this time; I suspect a bad IC. The scope seems to be stuck in Store Mode. Does anyone know where I can find the schematic for this scope (if it's available)?