Oscilloscope questions ?

curry87

Joined May 30, 2010
When does a hobbyist need the use of a oscilloscope please give examples?

Using a analog oscilloscope how do you analyze a audio amplifier to observe the amplification of a input signal to calculate a rough voltage level if the input signal from a mic is not constantly being generated ?

JDT

Joined Feb 12, 2009
Very useful for checking the gain of an audio amplifier. As well other things.

In your case, you need an audio signal generator as well. If you want to test the microphone connect the signal generator to an audio amplifier and place the microphone in front of the speaker. Otherwise connect the signal generator to the microphone input. Or whistle very steadily and long!

Connect your 'scope to the input. Record the signal amplitude.
Connect your 'scope to the output. Record the signal amplidude.

Do maths.

JingleJoe

Joined Jul 23, 2011
It may be because I'm drunk but I don't get what you're asking.
An o-scope allows you to see a waveform; it's frequency, it's shape, it's peak to peak voltage (calulated by the scale it's set to). All very useful stuff, I find that I do not need my oscilloscope much however it is immensely helpful when dealing with very low voltage signals, acctually it's just fun to watch the wavey waveforms sometimes :)

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
acctually it's just fun to watch the wavey waveforms sometimes :)
LOL.

If you want to work seriously with electronics projects, you NEED an oscilloscope, better digital than analogue.
It's the best way to analyze signals in your circuits, unless you work with almost static DC-circuits (where you could use a multimeter).

You can make visible voltage peaks, current waveforms, measure and relate to each other a number of signals... all things that are impossible with a multimeter.
There are several problems that can occur in electronic circuits you could only resolve by experience or an oscilloscope (and a little bit of experience);)

HDAV

Joined Aug 21, 2011
I just got a STingray USB scope and I am struggling with it in my case its to analyse a circuit in "real time" where the times are smaller than a human can record a very fast data logger will do the same