Oscilloscope question.

pixelsnpings

Joined Feb 3, 2010
Hi guys, I'm not sure if this was the correct forum for this thread but I'm looking into the ALP EDU25CL 25MHz Digital Storage Oscilloscope as my first scope purchase. Has anyone ever played with this one? I'm on a limited budget around $180 - $200 for a scope and I'm looking for suggestions on what to get and where to buy. Please tell me what you think of this model or any suggestions you may have for a descent one in that range. FWIW, I'm just a hobbyist but I don't want to skimp if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance!

Joined Nov 30, 2010
My, "hobbyist" level scope is a Phillips PM3226, 15 MHz. I only wish it had storage ability! You're looking a a better scope than I have and I've never had mine fail me. Then again, I never go into RF or even high speed digital, which can be in the gigahertz range nowadays. One thing that is absolutely necessary is dual channels. Don't miss that one!

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
That's a pretty nice oscilloscope, but, be aware that you won't be able to deal with moderately high frequencies. If you only deal with 8-bit uCs, this is a good buy, however, you may want a better scope when/if you move on to DSPs, ARM, or FPGAs. Though you could always run these devices off of low frequency clocks, but, what's the point of a horse when there's no room to gallop?

pixelsnpings

Joined Feb 3, 2010
I agree fully, but I'm working on a limited budget. So I'm looking around for a descent DSO that displays the frequency count and stuff along with the waveform. Let me know if you guys come across anything! And Thanks again for the tips!

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Before you buy, consider one of the many USB based 'scoped. Some are combo scopes and logic analyzers, which would be great for light uC work.