Oscilloscope Project

saint_jay77

Joined Oct 19, 2006
I am planning to build an oscilloscope project..
I was wondering of someone could briefly outline a block diagram and also advice good method of approach for this project. Basically i need a guideline!! Also what is the max frequency i could run this scope at without worrying too much about RF coupling on PCB...
thanks....

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I vote for 2MHz as the maximum frequency. I urge you not to even embark on this project unless you have a good understanding of power supplies, transformers, high voltage circuits, oscillators, trigger circuits, microcontrollers, and amplifiers.

If you want to consider this a multi-year project then by all means pick one of the above topics and dig in. You need to start with something less ambitious, and you need to learn to crawl and walk before you try to run a marathon.

saint_jay77

Joined Oct 19, 2006
I didnt think it would be so difficult. thanks for the info and for your time reading the post. I took the project as a challenge aiming high and learning a little about projects.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

Yes, the project is kind of hairy for a first. There are a number of potentially lethal voltages that have to be present to make the CRT work.

saint_jay77

Joined Oct 19, 2006
Well one could use a PC for all that good stuff. I am more interested in the data acquisation, interfacing with C or C++ software, Looking at signals on PC screen, setting auto ranging feature, and all these would be done on an old pentium computer that is dedicated to such purposes. Thats what i am interested in; A good hardware and software interface and presentation of data on the PC screen. That would not be that difficult would it??? Havent really looked into it too much so please let me know if i have missed or over looked some part of the Block.. thanks.

beck

Joined Nov 27, 2006
Well one could use a PC for all that good stuff. I am more interested in the data acquisation, interfacing with C or C++ software, Looking at signals on PC screen, setting auto ranging feature, and all these would be done on an old pentium computer that is dedicated to such purposes. Thats what i am interested in; A good hardware and software interface and presentation of data on the PC screen. That would not be that difficult would it??? Havent really looked into it too much so please let me know if i have missed or over looked some part of the Block.. thanks.
this article has the detailed circuit with the c program.
just buy the componets and connect as shown in the ckt.:D
http://www.electronicsforu.com/elec...tslist.asp?id=284&title=PC-Based Oscilloscope