Oscilloscope Help

khanz

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Hi all,
I am new to electronics, So a really basic question. I have an oscilloscope with two chennals, I want to measure the voltage between two phases. How can I do it. Each channel input has 250V. Now should I use both the channels, or what should I do, Please explain, I didn't find any help on the net.
Thanks in advance

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
A voltmeter is the tool for measuring voltage. Your oscilloscope will let you visualize the shape of the voltage waveforms and see the difference in phase angles, but is not nearly as accurate in determining the magnitude of voltage.

Hopefully, you're using a 10x attenuator probe and lots of caution when probing line voltage.

khanz

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Thanks
But will you please tell me how to use the probes of the oscilloscope. Means one probe with one and the other probe with the other phase then what about the small connectors I think these are for the grounds.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
The small connectors do indeed connect to circuit common. The long pointy bits go to the place where you want to measure. You can measure two points simultaneously, since you have two probes and two channels.

The knobs adjust the position and size of the trace, and control whether or not the trace jumps around too much to use or stays put. You can also choose which channel to display, or choose to display them both.

If you tell us the make and model of your scope, we can give more specific help. You can get general (and often vague) information on using scopes via an internet search on "oscilloscope tutorial."

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
Do you call yourself an engineer officially? I'm just curious, because in Canada, you can get fined or face fraud charges for doing so without having a degree in engineering and 4-years experience under a 'professional engineer' and writing a really long ethics test.

Steve

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
As far as measuring the difference between the two sinewaves:
My O-scope has a "Channel 2/B invert" function and an "Add Ch1/A Ch2/B" function.

By inverting channel 2/B and then adding the channels together, you would effectively subtract channel 2/B from channel 1/A, and the resulting waveform would be displayed.

khanz

Joined Mar 24, 2008
thanks guys, for the help. But I would like to tell you that I am really a professional Engineer. But for the last 12 years I didn't touch even an IC, now I got another job, so for me I am just a beginner as I forgot almost everything concerning electronics, only those concepts I do remember which I use widely. But I change my job because that I can't get much time to continue learning electronics, now I am in my ideal job and I have started learning the electronics again, I am studying but where ever I am confused I start a thread, with a hope that you guys will help me, and I think you will help me in future.
Thanks at all

chesart1

Joined Jan 23, 2006
thanks guys, for the help. But I would like to tell you that I am really a professional Engineer. But for the last 12 years I didn't touch even an IC, now I got another job, so for me I am just a beginner as I forgot almost everything concerning electronics, only those concepts I do remember which I use widely. But I change my job because that I can't get much time to continue learning electronics, now I am in my ideal job and I have started learning the electronics again, I am studying but where ever I am confused I start a thread, with a hope that you guys will help me, and I think you will help me in future.
Thanks at all
I understand. I am a retired engineer. I have not used an oscilloscope in five years. Your best bet would be to find the oscilloscope manufacturer on the internet and download the user's manual from the manufacturer's website.

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
khanz,

I didn't mean that in a derogatory sense, it was more of an inquisition. It's excellent you're getting back into it! As they say, 'use it or lose it' :) Except in the movie "40yr Old Virgin" if anyone gets the reference :p

Steve

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello engr. Kahn,

I found a website with several links on osciloscopes.
Its about working, using and probes and so on.
Most links are in english but some are in dutch or french.

http://www.educypedia.be/electronics/measurementosc.htm

Its nice to start working again with electronics.
I myself am a service engineer for NMR for about 20 years and for mass-spectrometers for about 4 years.

Greetings,
Bertus