oscillator for micro controller

SamK

Joined Oct 24, 2010
hi all, i am using an AT89c55wd uC which has an on chip oscillator according to the datasheet, what id like to know is, is there a default freq. that its auto. set up at...i have a 12MHz crystal and i want to run at this freq. do i need the crystal or can i set up the chip for this without the crystal....ha i know its xmas mornin but these things run through my head all day everyday...merry crimbo to all!!!

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
hi all, i am using an AT89c55wd uC which has an on chip oscillator according to the datasheet, what id like to know is, is there a default freq. that its auto. set up at...i have a 12MHz crystal and i want to run at this freq. do i need the crystal or can i set up the chip for this without the crystal....ha i know its xmas mornin but these things run through my head all day everyday...merry crimbo to all!!!

What does the datasheet say? If a mcu has an on-board osc, usually yu do not need any other supporting components. The on-board osc should have a range of frequencies.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
The internal Oscillator is set by "fuses" either through program definitions or at the time you flash the uC with the code.

I don't recall offhand what the options are for Atmel, but the datasheet should let you know.

The internal oscillator may be 4Mhz-20Mhz, but not as precise/stable as an external crystal oscillator. This is important if you are using the uC as a timebase or when getting small and accurate time measurements, such as 2.5000 milliseconds.