Optoisolator (4N33) Question

bob332

Joined Feb 14, 2011
finally got caught up w/ some other stuff and had a question in regards to this:

the datasheet - http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/4N/4N33M.pdf

claims forward current up to 80ma and forward voltage of 1.2-1.5V. i am considering that my main input will be 13V max, so the R2 resistor for 1.3V/5ma to the incoming side will be of 2.7KΩ, why does the schematic say 10KΩ is necessary? is my math incorrect or am i missing something? are the leds in these to be used like a normal led? even if 15V was coming in, i am still well under anything near max if i am reading the datasheet correctly :confused:

edit:
also, i don't have to have a common ground between the sides according to the datasheet....again if i am reading it correctly...just wondering why that schematic was created that way? what should i expect for a V drop across the diode? 1V? if i am using only +DC, is there any possibly way for it to go under 0V since the original power is coming from a wallwart, but i just didn't think they could go less than 0V.

thanks,
bob

bob332

Joined Feb 14, 2011
let me go through my history and find it...just out of curiosity, why do you need the link? i am not making up where i found it at...the original had 2 schematics on it, i took off the other circuit..

I'm curious to why it was designed that way, the tied ground defeats using an optocoupler and the 10K is very high. What voltage range do you want for the input?

Edit, thanks for the link.

13V is this for an automotive application? Some designs would use a pair of transistors as a constant current source for the LED.

bob332

Joined Feb 14, 2011
i kind of thought the same thing after i read the data sheet, and i just want 12-14Vmax, that is why i am a bit confused. the arduino can handle 5Vinput on its side so i was too wondering why such a high resistance on that side too.

bob332

Joined Feb 14, 2011
is there an issue w/ the grounds connected as i did follow that arduino schematic at the moment...i just thought i read the data sheet wrong :(. i can change it on the next board i make and will. thanks for clearing it up.

now is there any way for a complete +dc power to get -? is the diode necessary? i know they are cheap and not a problem, but for education is the diode necessary?

bob332

Joined Feb 14, 2011
I'm curious to why it was designed that way, the tied ground defeats using an optocoupler and the 10K is very high. What voltage range do you want for the input?

Edit, thanks for the link.

13V is this for an automotive application? Some designs would use a pair of transistors as a constant current source for the LED.
not an automotive application, just happens that the V is 12V.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Here is the corrected circuit:

I also corrected the current for the input led.
In the datasheet is given that it should be between 10 and 50 mA.
Now it will be about 8 mA at 5 Volts and 23 mA at 12 Volts.

Bertus

Attachments

bob332

Joined Feb 14, 2011
excellent. just to verify, and i couldn't find it on the datasheet (maybe i did see it but didn't know??), but how long can the led stay on? are they designed to be on for say days at a time like a regular led? of course, staying under the 50ma as suggested and now put into place :)

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
excellent. just to verify, and i couldn't find it on the datasheet (maybe i did see it but didn't know??), but how long can the led stay on? are they designed to be on for say days at a time like a regular led? of course, staying under the 50ma as suggested and now put into place :)
Bertus' design should be more than capable of withstanding 12V continuously on its input for many years without failure of the OPTO.

hgmjr