Opto Isolator Problems

Mechatronic

Joined Oct 15, 2009
ummm welll it didnt work im thinking that there isnt a resistor on the collector of the PNP transistor. so current would be Ic will be really High. I may have fried my transistor

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
R5, a 62 Ohm resistor, should have been connected from the collector of the PNP transistor to the base of the NPN power transistor. Without the 62 Ohm resistor, the PNP transistor would indeed get smoked.

I should've mentioned it before, but R5 needs to be a 1 Watt resistor.

If you don't happen to have any 62 Ohm 1 Watt resistors, you could use a couple of 120 Ohm 1/2 Watt in parallel, or four 240 Ohm 1/4 Watt resistors in parallel.

Last edited:

Mechatronic

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I think I fried my transistor when I built the circuit using the lower values from the diagram not the corrected values a few post later.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I haven't installed TINA-TI, but my version of TINA has two optocouplers .... 4n33 and MOC223.

I know they been in the library for a very long time as I used them a few years ago on this board when some rocket club was designing their parachute deployment circuit.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
I haven't installed TINA-TI, but my version of TINA has two optocouplers .... 4n33 and MOC223.
This post is exemplary of when a quote is absolutely a must. The post that this points to is about 10 posts back on page 2. :eek:

Anyway, yes I have the same models in my library.