opto coupler

z3ngew

Joined Apr 18, 2013
Hello everyone,
I need to know, when i use the optocoupler (npn) i give a signal to the diode throw a resistor, and the transistor is switched on.
ok, that's great but the question is can i connect the emitter to vcc and the collector to the output, maybe the base of another transistor.
Thanks in advance,
z3ngew

Hello everyone,
I need to know, when i use the optocoupler (npn) i give a signal to the diode throw a resistor, and the transistor is switched on.
ok, that's great but the question is can i connect the emitter to vcc and the collector to the output, maybe the base of another transistor.
Thanks in advance,
z3ngew
Simply yes. You can connect ground or VCC to one side of the output and use the other side as a signal so effectively creating an inverting or non-inverting, voltage independent line protector. I use this regularly.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
You adding a reverse voltage to the transistor, it could be damaged the transistor.

For a NPN transistor of the optocoupler:
Usually we adding the +Vcc to C and connecting a resistor from E to Ground, and the E will be the output.

You can also connecting a resistor from +Vcc to C, and the E connected to Ground, and the C will be the output.