Optimum temperature of condenser coil refrigerant

sheepdog

Joined Jan 26, 2009
Hi could anybody tell me the above please, for the refrigerant leaving the condenser coil of a heat pump/air con unit. I am building a prototype heat pump and wish to pwm the condenser fan with a mcu to ensure the temperature is in the right ball park before entering the expansion valve/capillary tube.
Any help/advice greatfully appreciated
Many thanks
oscar

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I don't know the answer, but I suspect you will need to know the refrigerant type to find out its thermodynamic properties.

John

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The refrigerant cycle involves moving heat, so it becomes more efficient as the end points are further separated. For cooling, you really wish to remove all the heat of compression possible before expanding the fluid to pick up heat. In heating, you wish to transfer all the outside heat possible into the refrigerant before compressing it.

The idea is to shorten cycle times, as it takes the same energy to compress the refrigerant per unit of time.

sheepdog

Joined Jan 26, 2009
Many thanks for the replies, the unit I am modifying is some 10 years old, refrigerant of unknown type. At present I am achieving a 3 degree c drop from a 7 degree source through a homemade heat exchanger. i will try reducing the condenser exhaust (fan only at the moment) via the incoming source and experiment further.
Again thank you for your information