Optical Sensor (Time to decode - TTD)

bc627

Joined May 20, 2013
i am working on a school project and need to design a circuit that will decode the time it takes once a light is triggered to the time it goes off (time to decode - TTD).. i have some ideas but i am somewhat of a newbie.. any help would be greatly appreciated.. -thank guys

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
We can help but you will have to explain a bit more clearly what you are attempting to do.

What do you mean by "light is triggered to the time it goes off"?

What level school work is this?

bc627

Joined May 20, 2013
this is for my engineering class (undergrad)
we will be triggering a device that sets off a light that will remain on for a variable amount of time from 0-10sec (measuring only ms and sec)
We would like to count the time it takes once it is triggerd to the time it cuts off ex: light on - light off = .143ms
We are goin to implement a microcontroller and a light sensor and send the information via usb to our laptop

bc627

Joined May 20, 2013
ive had a few ideas, but not sure if theyd work.. 2 photo transistors.. maybe an LDR so the counter starts when light is on so the resistance drops using an opamp to bias transistor to relay

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
What relay? I thought you just wanted to measure the time the light is on.
Connect the output of the photosensor to an input pin of the microcontroller.

bc627

Joined May 20, 2013
more or less yea... i just want to trigger the light, initiate timer.. light goes off.. stop timer.. send data to computer.. it just seems like there would be more to it then just that.. u made is sound so simple

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
more or less yea... i just want to trigger the light, initiate timer.. light goes off.. stop timer.. send data to computer.. it just seems like there would be more to it then just that.. u made is sound so simple
The microcontroller is the timer, so you don't need a separate timer.