Operational amplifier

regexp

Joined Nov 20, 2010
Hello,

I have the following operational amplifier:

My task is to calculate the expression that yields the quotient \(~~\frac{u_0}{i_s}\)

Hm, i don't really know how to start, any advice?

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Consider the features of an ideal opamp.

1. Infinite open loop gain.
2. Infinite input impedance on both input terminals
3. Output impedance is 0 ohms.

Also consider that an opamp's mission is to drives its output to whatever voltage it takes to make the two input terminals equal in voltage. In this opamp configuration, the positive terminal is at 0v. That means that the opamp is going to drive its output to a voltage that will force its negative terminal to be 0V.

hgmjr

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Think about it as "What current will flow through R3?"

Since R1 and R2 are voltage dividers across the current source, and R3 is the tap to the output.....

Jony130

Joined Feb 17, 2009
Here's a tip:
You can convert the T-pad network to a PI-pad network using the Y-Δ transformation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wye-delta

Or you could just write out your node equations

Is = ( Va - Vb) /R1 (1)

Is = Vb/R2 + (Vb - Vout)/R3 (2)

Va = 0V ( thanks to op amp "action" )

Last edited:

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Greetings Shteii01,

Like RonH, I too am confused. Your replies are phrased in such a manner that it sounds like you are the originator of this thread.

Can you please confirm that you "are" or "are not" regexp?

hgmjr

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
This is not my thread. I am trying to solve it because I am not very good at op-amp circuits, I thought it would be good practice for me. Note that I only posted my answers, I still want regex do his own homework.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Here's a tip:
You can convert the T-pad network to a PI-pad network using the Y-Δ transformation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wye-delta

Or you could just write out your node equations

Is = ( Va - Vb) /R1 (1)

Is = Vb/R2 + (Vb - Vout)/R3 (2)

Va = 0V ( thanks to op amp "action" )
I see what you mean. I think I can do node equations on the original circuit.

Ok, I redid the problem using node voltage method on the original circuit. I got following: \(\frac{U_0}{I_s}=-R_3(\frac{R_1}{R_2}+\frac{R_1}{R_3}+1)\)

Last edited:

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
Hmm, suit your self, but there are valid ways to work this out so that you do not end up with negaitve ohms as your answer.