Open Suse

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Bertus.

It's an error I got, umm..the first one :confused:.
I got via errors but managed to install it.
After finishing it asks for login.like

linux-2wlk login:

when I enter the surname & pass
after that it says

Have a lot of fun....

and it the stupid thing just sits there....how can I have fun in a dos like screen :confused:.

Am I doing something wrong or my iso is corrupt?

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
command-line is where the real work is done :)
GUI sucks!

Try AAC with Lynx...:D
I didn't want to post first, since it's meant for Bertus...

Can be several things.

1. Corrupt ISO
2. Installed on a bad place in the harddisk
3. Damaged cd-disk

The windows based things in Linux is called X. X is a GUI. With the command startx, you usually start X. But I do not think this is your problem. I think it is a bit deeper. When you install software, you're not supposed to get error messages.

Did you get many? And do you remember any of them?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

How did you start the installation?

Here is a quick start from the suse website:
http://www.novell.com/documentation...uick_112/data/art_osuse_installquick_112.html

I usualy make 3 partitions for the installation.
a "root" partition "/" size about 10 - 20Gb
a "swap" partition about 2 X memory size max 2 Gb
a "home" partition "/home" rest of the diskspace.

You can also make the system dual boot with windows.

Bertus

Last edited:

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I guess I am a command line snob and think X should be run on the windows box, and all the 'work' done on the command line. I've made some pretty wizard like shell scripts and pipelines.

The cygwin X Server for windows, when run with SCRT Secure Shell login with X-Forwarding is pretty nifty, lets you run the *nix GUI apps on the *nix box, and display in windows when forced to work in windows.

Closer to topic... Try Debian or Ubuntu, they are similar, but Ubuntu is geared towards "desktop friendly" and newer linux users.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Actually you can say this is my very first feeble attempt to Install a Linux OS.

The first post was the first error I got.
This thing gives so much fancy command lines I go :eek:, with tht :confused: too.
I made one partition as I can at least read and know dos commands.

It wanted me to enter some url..too, what for :confused:, I donno..
and gave me some hiccups along the way.

Could it be that my ISO image was corrupt, it is 11.1 as I remember. I discarded the V10 CD, when bertus said it was a trial one.
The burning and DVD part are fine, no errors on tht but I dunno abt the ISO I got.

I'll try again...om another machine this time.
One more thing is that it gave me a sorta vga somethin sumthin...can't remember..

Bertus..I am trying to quit smoking..errrr!!....sorry that came out wrong. what I was trying to say was I am trying to quit windows as this bill gate sometimes drives me nuts...

So can u please tell me what is the purpose of the 3 partitions. Cause in windows ..they don't need no second partitions. except for win7 which makes 100mb hidden part...

Any heads up on this, since you have been using this thing like forever....

Last edited:

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Bertus..I am trying to quit smoking..errrr!!....sorry that came out wrong. what I was trying to say was I am trying to quit windows as this bill gate sometimes drives me nuts...
Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux! :)

I usualy make 3 partitions for the installation.
a "root" partition "/" size about 10 - 20Gb
a "swap" partition about 2 X memory size max 2 Gb
a "home" partition "/home" rest of the diskspace.

"root" is for applications, systemfiles, drivers. Basically what you would find under the "Windows" and "Program Files" folders in Windows.

"swap" is for memory use. Just like you have a swap file in windows, you get here a partition. When switching between applications, and the memory get more and more filled up, it dumps it in a file.

"home" is the users folder. Similar to the "users" folder in windows. In the partition you will find "My documents" - like folders. And some hidden folders telling Linux what envirometal valeus that should be used.

Have you tested the media? It should be an option for checking it. One of the first boot screens.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

By using the 3 partition method, you can upgrade the software by formatting the "root" partition and install the new version.
You will leave the "/home" partition in tact (no format during installation) and have all your private data available.
(as long as you use the same user names).
The "swap" partition is like the swap file (paging file) in windows.

Bertus

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
What's wrong with Ubuntu?

Try Mint Linux. Even easier than Ubuntu and perhpas a little better.

Both are, I believe, based on Debian.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
I use Ubuntu nearly 100% of the time.

Rif@@, you will fine the command line is very powerful, once you learn to use it. I'm using a GUI right now, but I can browse the internet from a CLI, if I need to. I do like how with Linux if it goes wrong you can fix it fairly easily, but with Windows it's quite a lot more difficult.