OPB8 Series Optical Switches

pntrbl

Joined Apr 21, 2008
I'm about to start fabbing a slotted wheel to run in one Opteks OPB8 Series of optical switches, and as is usual when I don't know what I'm doing, I have some questions.

1st of all there is a OPB830 Series that uses IR to combat aperture contamination, and an OPB840 Series which is designed to resist ambient light. I intend to mount these on various machine tool spindles so they'll typically be under cover in the dark and away from flying chips, which makes me think it doesn't matter which one I choose, but I've been wrong before.

Over time there could be some build up of gear oil and rubber dust from belting, so maybe the IR would be best. No experience to draw from tho. Pure conjecture on my part. And advice is welcome ....

I also don't know what to do about aperture selection and slot width. The emitters and sensors can be had in both .010" and .050" widths, and, here's where I get really confused, they can be mixed. You can get a .010" emitter with an .050" sensor, the vice versa, or they can both be the same.

Too many options for an old fool like me! :D

So if anyone can advise before I start throwing darts in the dark at the Mouser catalog it would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance for any help.

SP