Opamp buffers and gain

IvarsOzolsDB

Joined Aug 24, 2012
Newbie question. :) Is there any difference between opamp in unity gain configuration (buffer) and opamp in non-inverting configuration with gain of 2? Is there output impedance difference etc?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Many opamps are not stable in a unity gain/voltage follower configuration; you need to read the datasheet (s) for the opamp(s) in question - so no; they are not the same.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The gain of 2 circuit bandwidth will be 1/2 the unity gain configuration (equal to 1/2 the GBWP of the op amp). There may also be some peaking in the frequency response from stray capacitance at the inverting input node.

The closed-loop output impedance will be higher than in the unity gain configuration, but will still be very low.

Any op amp input offset will be multiplied by a factor of 2.

I believe those are the primary differences.

Edit: The above assumes the op amp is stable in those configurations, as SW noted.

Veracohr

Joined Jan 3, 2011
Yes, the input impedance is increased by a factor of the closed loop gain

Rin = Rin*Acl

And output impedance is decreased by the same factor:

Rout = Rout/Acl

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The input impedance of a typical op amp is already so large that any increase due to the closed loop gain in a non-inverting amp configuration is generally of little practical significance.

Veracohr

Joined Jan 3, 2011
I assume Close Loop Gain.
Yes that's what I meant.

Most likely. The issue is with the input / output resistance relationships with respect to that closed loop gain - as quoted by Veracohr in post #4.
I see now. Not the closed loop gain, but the loop gain (1+Aβ), where A is the op amp's open loop gain and β is the feedback network factor R1/(R1+R2). Correct? Sorry for giving out misinformation.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Yes that's what I meant.

I see now. Not the closed loop gain, but the loop gain (1+Aβ), where A is the op amp's open loop gain and β is the feedback network factor R1/(R1+R2). Correct? Sorry for giving out misinformation.
No need to apologize. Simple mistake. BTW the loop gain is usually taken to be Aβ. Some people include a negative sign which probably pre-supposes negative feedback is being applied.

LvW

Joined Jun 13, 2013
No need to apologize. Simple mistake. BTW the loop gain is usually taken to be Aβ. Some people include a negative sign which probably pre-supposes negative feedback is being applied.
Perhaps not too important in the context of this thread - nevertheless I like to mention that the loop gain is the gain of the COMPLETE loop, that means: including any sign inversion within the loop. Remember that there are circuits with another active inverting element within the loop - and in this case, the loop is closed using the non-invering input node of the main amplifier.
Thus, the loop gain usually should be taken to be (-Aβ).

I think, this consideration is important because very often this is the background of some misunderstandings in finding stability margins:
Is it necessary to investigate the loop gain at a the frequency with -180deg or with -360deg phase shift ?

IvarsOzolsDB

Joined Aug 24, 2012
Thanks guys for answers. The pratical appliacion for the question was about buffer before Linkwitz-Riley 24db/oct filter stages. Do I need add an extra unity gain buffer before subsonic filter stage or do balanced input stage will manage right output impedance etc? Schematic attached.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator: