Op Amp Voltage BOOSTER!!!

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
Hey Folks!

I am relatively new to Op amps so bear with me here....:p

If I had a power supply that had an output of 5V with 10A, could I use an op amp to boost the voltage up to 12V? Let me know if this is possible and if it is, how it is accomplished!

Thanks!

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
An opamp running off a 5V supply has a max output voltage of about 3.6V at only 0.03A.

To increase the voltage from 5V to 12V then you need a power oscillator with a transformer (called an inverter). Then rectify and smooth the resulting AC to 12VDC.

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
An opamp running off a 5V supply has a max output voltage of about 3.6V at only 0.03A.

To increase the voltage from 5V to 12V then you need a power oscillator with a transformer (called an inverter). Then rectify and smooth the resulting AC to 12VDC.
Hmmmm.... very interesting! But lets say I wanted to increase 2V to 3.6V with 20mA of current (to drive a single LED lets say...), could an Op amp be used then?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
An opamp needs to have a power supply voltage that is higher than its output voltage.

You can make a voltage boosting circuit like is used for solar garden lights. A similar circuit is called a Joule Thief and is on the internet.

Attachments

radiohead

Joined May 28, 2009
Running with Audioguru's inverter concept, configure a 555 timer for a sine wave output (schematics are everywhere). Feed the output from pin 3 into the base of a suitable transistor (TIP41 for example) to amplify the signal and ground the emitter. Obtain a small power output transformer, connect one of the secondary leads to the collector and the other to the V+. you will measure an increased AC output at the primary side of the transformer. Heat sink the transistor. Remember to pick a transformer that can handle the load you need it for. If you are using batteries, they will be sucked dry in no time with this circuit.

Last edited: