Op Amp used as a function generator

dj_wizard

Joined May 11, 2009
Hey guys i need ur help i have this square and tri function gen.
i did this circuit and it worked :D i only need to know the application of the resistance in it .. and also i changed the op amps to the lm741
can anyone help plz ?
thnx in advance

here is the circuit

dj_wizard

Joined May 11, 2009
but i didn t use the pulse generator 555 ... now i know the 2nd op amp works as an integrator to the 1st o/p which is a square function .. but how does the first one works ?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The performance of a lousy old 741 opamp is bad above only 9kHz. Many better opamps cost the same, are single, dual and quad and perform well up to 100kHz.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
The performance of a lousy old 741 opamp is bad above only 9kHz. Many better opamps cost the same, are single, dual and quad and perform well up to 100kHz.
Perhaps you could prepare an update of National Semiconductor's Op Amp Circuits Collection (including the function generator of this topic, on page 9) using the modern chips. Then all the folk looking for circuits would no longer be offending you by using older style chips.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The lousy old 741 opamp should have been buried 20 years ago.
The very old LM107 opamp in the original circuit performs poorly above only 5kHz and was buried years ago.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
The lousy old 741 opamp should have been buried 20 years ago.
The very old LM107 opamp in the original circuit performs poorly above only 5kHz and was buried years ago.
So how about writing that upgrade? You could reduce the number of people learning on old chips! You could personally bury the old chips (metaphorically speaking).

Or you could post a circuit here with a more modern chip.

Or I suppose you could just keep whining. :rolleyes: