Op-amp TL071

rogs

Joined Aug 28, 2009
'better' in what way? --- noise figure --- gain product bandwidth -- rail to rail outputs ----low voltage operation--- single supply ?

You'll need to be a bit more specific on what you need to be 'better' ?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The Texas Instruments OPA134 single, OPA2134 dual and OPA4134 quad opamps also have Jfet inputs for no input bias current and have:
1) Lower distortion at only 00008%.
2) Lower noise at only 8 nV/root Hz.
3) Lower minimum supply of only plus and minus 2.5V.
4) More output current at 35mA.
5) More gain at higher frequencies. +60dB at 10kHz.
6) Higher frequency of 220kHz for 28V p-p output.
7) Lower output impedance of 0.0004 ohms at low frequencies and at DC.
8) a few more things that I can't think about.

But of course it costs more than the TL)71, TL072 and TL074.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Actually they are pretty good, but you have to know what specs are important. AG is an experienced retired engineer who has lots of experience going through datasheets, and knows his stuff.

For example, the vast majority of op amps can not handle inputs close to their power supplies, but there are a few designed for it. You can spend decades learning this kind of stuff.

Speaking for myself I don't think I could hear 0.02% distortion, could you? Is the extra performance worth it? It all depends on application (and distortion is cumulative).

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
A TL07x opamp sounds perfect to me and I used them for most of my audio circuits. I would use the better OPAxxxx opamp only for a product sold to audiophiles who want the very best and have more money than brains.

ricky0066

Joined Feb 27, 2011
Hi there
Thanks for the advice. I did managed to run out of the TL071 and they were not around to buy so i was looking for something to replace it. I did managed to get some off the TL072 so i will be ok. I just wanted to leave them separeted for better understanding of the circuit (on bread board).

Thanks R:)

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
At Digikey and many other places in North America I can buy twice as many as you for the same price so you are being ripped-off. I can even buy just one for a quarter of a British pound.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
And social programs. You get what you pay for.

Everything I hear from the UK says parts are just plain hard to get (I consider mail order a last resort).

ricky0066

Joined Feb 27, 2011
That is true the only way you can get something is trough web and post. In Stoke is only one electronic shop ( Maplin ) and they usualy do not have it in stock.
Poor england.