Op Amp Sine Wave Oscillator

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
The LM386 is not an op-amp it is a standard audio amplifier, so that cannot be used.

It depends if you plan on using a dual polarity supply.

The LM741 cannot go to the V- or V+ terminal, so it is out if you want to use a grounded V- pin.

However the LM358 can go to ground so it is more ideal. I recommend the LM358.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Can you tell more about what frequency you plan to use. Also do want to use double or single power supply. I can find a good one in the ELFA assortment. And eh...it will NOT be a 741 variant:eek:

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I was actually planning on using a 9v battery. Is that a problem? I've also an old PC powersupply lying around.

Thanks for quick replies.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Something like the old LM324 quad would be good for a bubba oscillator.

You will need a ½Vcc reference, which is easy enough to do. A simple op amp follower after a voltage divider would work nicely.

The old 741 is a good teaching tool, but for a practical project I would use something a little newer.

High Speed Op Amp Query

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Jensemann! can you tell us more about what you are planing to build. It would help to know what kind of application you will connect to the generator output

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Hi.

In the end, I will try to measure inductance with a multimeter.

The article I've read, explains that if I connect a resistor and an inductor in paralell, set a sinus wave on it, I will be able to read the inductance of the inductor.

I have seen some circuits, and I thought that I might be able to build this one.

Am I wrong?

PS. Guys at work call me Jensemann, vesle Jensemann or just Vesle. :)

Edit: Should be connected in series, not paralell.

Last edited:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
You will find many free apps on the net. If I remember correct you are a linux person. try Google and Function Generator linux or waveform generator linux

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
A little update:

You can get Linux to play a sound using something called SOX.

I had to sudo apt-get install sox

After that I can just type:

play -t null /dev/null sine.wav synth 10.0 sine 1000.0

It then plays a 1000KHz sine tone for 10 seconds. Instead of sine, we can put square, triangle, sawtooth, trapetz (trapezoidal), exp (exponential), whitenoise, pinknoise, and brownnoise.

I'm quite amazed. :)

This was really off topic... Sorry!

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
You will also find many apps with a GUI. But I guess you Linux people are allergic to such nonsense:p. Anyway this is your thread you can take it in the direction you want. I also think I could whip a an application using sound card I/O to do the measurement without any active components. in about 15 minutes, compleate with GUI. But that would be a Windows application made by Labview