One switch for multiple outputs

dingari

Joined Jan 25, 2014
Hi, I'm doing a small mod project on my speaker set. Long story short I am going to build an external volume and bass control to keep on my desk so I won't have to go down to the subwoofer for the controls.

The external control will have two knobs for control, a switch to select between the external and the subwoofer control and maybe an on/off switch (connected to a relay to cut the 230V AC line).

The select switch will need to break and connect at least seven or eight connections. What is the best way to go around this? Mosfets or BJT's as switches, all controlled by the selector switch? Or is there a simpler way?

Any comments appreciated :)

dingari

Joined Jan 25, 2014
Something like this is what I was thinking about: http://imgur.com/aZeqPFC

For simplicity in schematic:
- 7 transistors for each control represented by one
- resistors are potentiometers, third pin tied to ground ignored

Is there a simpler way to do this?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I can't understand what you want. You said tone and volume controls, but then also power and the ability to revert to the internal controls. You haven't said how any of these currently operate (digital? analog?), or what sort of remote technology you want to use (wired? RF?)

dingari

Joined Jan 25, 2014
You don't have to worry about that. All I was asking for was a way to use a single switch to break and connect multiple wires. The rest was just for context.

I intend to just have the external control wired with a cable that has a lot of wires (parallel for instance). The signal from the pots is analog.

Simply put:
- External volume and bass control wired through 12 wires (plus gnd)
- Single switch to either connect internal and break external or break internal and connect external
- (not important for this question) A main power switch, connected ro relay to break or connect the mains line to the transformer (turning the system off).

Maybe later I will add a completely "remote" with RF or BT. But for now. this will do.

GRNDPNDR

Joined Mar 1, 2012
I just had a random thought, but I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for.

In my power supply there are two switches for changing between parllel and series mode.

Each switch has about 8 terminals I think. When you push the button it switches them over.

Is that what you need? a push button switch to change all of the connections at once?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
All I was asking for was a way to use a single switch to break and connect multiple wires
A multi-pole multi-way switch can do that. But it's not safe/advisable IMO to use a single switch for both mains voltage and signals.

dingari

Joined Jan 25, 2014
Is that what you need? a push button switch to change all of the connections at once?
Yes.

A multi-pole multi-way switch can do that. But it's not safe/advisable IMO to use a single switch for both mains voltage and signals.
I think you've misunderstood. I intended on having a seperate switch for the mains line. I have to break the multiple connections to each of the pots, that's what the multi-switch will be doing.

Though I've never seen a switch with eight poles. Is that even a thing?

Yes.

I think you've misunderstood. I intended on having a seperate switch for the mains line. I have to break the multiple connections to each of the pots, that's what the multi-switch will be doing.

Though I've never seen a switch with eight poles. Is that even a thing?
Never seen an 8 pole switch....
You could use a couple of relays and a momentary switch to do it.... could do mains/signal with the one button then....