One 17" LCD Computer Monitor uses 42 watts - the other only 4 watts (how possible?)

Lumenosity

Joined Mar 1, 2017
I have a Kill-A-Watt meter for measuring electrical usage. It can display real time Amps, Volts, Watts and more

I JUST (today) checked it's calibration by plugging a desk lamp with a 100watt light bulb into it it and the reading was 99 watts.
So I would say it's very accurate. The bulb is probably consuming 99 watts.

So here's my dilemma.....

I have two LCD computer monitors.....one is a DELL and the other is a Gateway. They are both 17" monitors.
But when both are displaying .....the DELL consumes 42 Watts....and the Gateway only 4 watts ! How is that possible?

Is the Dell older technology maybe? Is 4 watts a reasonable figure for a 17" Computer LCD monitor?
That seems WAY too low but I could video it for proof. The Gateway 17" LCD monitor is only drawing 4 Watts.

Can someone help me understand this? I need to dispose of ALL my Dell LCD monitors and go Gateway if this is the case.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
It may be your wattmeter. It may not be accurate at low loads with a non-zero power factor.
I am trying to think of something comparable to measure to get some ground truth. Maybe a CFL or LED lamp. I will you know if I think of something better.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Both monitors should have published power ratings, perhaps right on them. What do they say?

The low number almost had to be an anomaly. You can’t make light without power.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I know some old LCD monitors that get unusually warm during use. Wayneh is right, check the data labels and maybe post a pic of each of them here... see what they say.

Lumenosity

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Ok,
After checking the specifications, it says this monitor uses 38 watts.

That leaves the question of why the meter says it's only using 4 watts for the Gateway and 43 watts for the Dell.

RichardO's post might be the one best addressing the issue?

Lumenosity

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Update....

So I plugged the same Gateway monitor into a different computer and now I'm getting 26 Watts with a PF of 0.48

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
"User error"
The nut behind the steering wheel?
So did the nut have it in the wrong gear? Turn into oncoming traffic? Not have the ignition turned on? Didn't realize that the engine was running because it's so quiet?

A lot of potentially useful information behind "user error".

Was the wattmeter configured improperly? Was the monitor actually in a power saving mode when the measurement was made? Was it really reading 40 W and not 4 W?

Lumenosity

Joined Mar 1, 2017
"User error"
The nut behind the steering wheel?
Yes sir. I deserve any and all insults hurled at me this time.

I have a lot of equipment plugged in....lots of cords....my eyes aren't what they were 30 years ago...
I thought I had the monitor plugged in but age struck again and I had something else plugged in.

Please accept my apology.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Yes sir. I deserve any and all insults hurled at me this time.

I have a lot of equipment plugged in....lots of cords....my eyes aren't what they were 30 years ago...
I thought I had the monitor plugged in but age struck again and I had something else plugged in.

Please accept my apology.
Thanks for the explanation.

No apologies needed. We've all done worse and we will probably all do worse several more times.