on delay timer circuit

Jonplynch

Joined Jan 28, 2012
can anybody help me in regards to an on delay timing circuit.

what i am trying to do is the following when a start button is pressed it operates a relay which in turn operates the timer and when the timer times out it lights a beacon. the trouble i am having is that i am not 100% sure on the wiring on my first attempt on doing it the circuit worked but only if i keep my finger on the start button as soon as i relase it all power 2 the circuit drops out and it wont latch and i dont know why i also have a nc stop button working as a reset and this is working fine but as mentioned i have to keep the stop button depressed any help on wiring diagram would be most appreciated

Jonplynch

Joined Jan 28, 2012
i am using an omron 230v relay with base a no push button and a normally closed push button i cannot submit diagram just now as i am not sure on the operation of the relays contacts. do i need to power the coil from a different source and then wire the start through the common and no pole on the relay or what ?

williamj

Joined Sep 3, 2009
Jonplynch,

The specifications for the relay displayed in the url provided, states the the relay is a single pole double throw (SPDT)relay. What you need for latching is a double pole double throw (DPDT) relay.

With the imformation provided I drew up a couple of drawings (one wire diagram and one ladder diagram) of what I think you were after.

I don't know what your project is but in the future I highly recomend using relays and timers with a lower voltage coil than the voltage rating of the contacts. That's why relays were invented... to use a lower voltage to control a higher voltage. It's much safer that way.

williamj

Attachments