On A audio preamp what do connect the battery to

MDK

Joined Feb 1, 2008
I'am making a active audio preamp, it's finished execpt for the battery. what do i hook it to?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Great question - except that we have no schematic to refer to. How did you manage to build a device with no idea of how to power it? If there is a schematic, surely it indicates where the supply voltage/s are applied.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Sometimes, the direct Vcc/Vdd/V+/V-/etc connections aren't displayed on a schematic depending upon the program that was used to create it.

For example, Cadsoft's Eagle Layout Editor's libraries have components (ICs) with implicit power pins that aren't displayed in the schematic. This reduces "clutter" while drawing the schematic. However, when you switch to the board editor, all of the Vcc/Vdd/V+/V-/etc connections are displayed for PCB trace routing.

If a circuit was built from such a schematic, the datasheets for the devices would need to be consulted to determine the power/ground connections.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The only devices you show are passive - they will have some effect on a signal, but do not need power to operate. I can't make out the symbols left of the +9 label. Is that the amp? What is it?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Ouch! Boy oh boy, do ASCII schematics ever get mangled when posted without using CODE /CODE!

OK, take a look at the attached - I think that it's what you were trying to represent in your schematic?

What is the device you are using in the triangle? It might be an op amp, it might be an audio amp, I can't tell at this point. Do you have a part number?

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The triangle thing is an amplifier. The "+" and "-" are inverting and non-inverting inputs. It appears to need 9V for power. However, without knowing WHICH device it is, that will be problematic to determine.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Thanks for the schematic, it's just what i needed it works great.

Thanks
Well, I really don't know how I helped you; as all I did was to take my best guess what your ASCII representation of your schematic was, and translate it to something that was at least something fairly standard.

The power connections still aren't shown in my theoretical schematic, as I still have no clue as to what amplifier IC you are using.

But I'm glad you got it working ;)