Old TV sets and ideas of what to use the parts for

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
Depends what you're into.

For building circuits, the harvest from an old TV is far more usefull.

Although the ICs tend not to be much use for projects, except maybe the SMPSU & AF amp chips - that's more than can be said for the ICs in a scanner.
What's the point in harvesting ICs or other inexpensive components that can be bought new for pennys? Which components, aside from the HV stuff, are worth the effort of salvaging from a 30 year old TV?

Anyway, I look forward to seeing what the TS creates from his TVs......:rolleyes:

I didnt like the big efforts needed for a Tesla coil- so, after researching 1000s of webpages, I came up with a design using off the shelf Inductor + winding 8 turns on it- job done. Smallest Tesla coil in the world!

It does work like a Tesla coil- you can hold LED in one hand, and just touch one terminal!
http://ledmatrix16lf1709.hitechworld.org/

Problem with TV parts is, they are highly specialized, and often not particulary good, just on the margin doing their job. ICs tend to be completely useless, the recent CRT TVs just have a few or just one.

transistors also often will be poor, function different than standard types in terms of hFE and current, often PNP which is a thinking barrier to beginners.
Nice!
FWIW The topology is similar to that of a photo-flash circuit --- OBTW as far as I can tell those are not LEDs but, rather, phosphor-coated neon 'bulbs' (strike EMF ~ 70v) if you want to *really* impress the 'natives' try touching one end of an F40 (4' linear florescent tube) to the terminal :D

Ok here's my take on semiconductors salvaged from TVs

Many older CRT TVs and monitors implement the following functions with discrete semiconductors...
-The horizontal-output Amp will have an impressive Vce figure (at the expense of gain) -- Quite useful in a number of applications (e.g. boost converters)
-The vertical out Amp is useful for its power handling capability and, for a BJT, low (C to E) saturation EMF
-The video (Y-amps if you will) are very nice! Amenable to broad, flat response designs.
-Of course power FETs, and EHT rectifiers/cascades are always worth salvaging! :)

Additionally, when present, many non-proprietary ICs (PWMs, Audio amps, linear "Voltage" (I hate that word!) regulators, comparators, PLL controllers, etc... can be quite useful! Note: 'non-proprietary' is important because datasheets, and, possibly, replacements will be readily available...
-----------
As regards the flyback --- Those with no interest in 'HV' may, nonetheless, wish to salvage the core (cores of this size 'go for' $50+ (USD) prior to shipping --- If you can find them!)

Here's the procedure:
1) With a 'Dremmel-style' tool carefully cut and remove the windings and housing.
2) Place the core in a ketone (e.g. acetone) bath for several days
3) Separate and clean the core halves.

FWIW the core material 'tests' as #77 ferrite

Best regards
HP

Rolland B. Heiss

Joined Feb 4, 2015
why do you want to mess with old CRT?

You can get small LCD video displays.
You can get adapters for VGA flat panels, video to VGA.

These CRTs are just immobile monsters belonging to a different era.

Extracting parts? Waste of time. You can buy NOS parts by weight at some places,
then rummage through them for days and see what you got.
Why do I want to mess with them? Perhaps because I'm also from a different era as well. Nothing wrong hanging out with old friends or whatever is left of them is there? ;)