Old thread resurrection: Decade counter/555 for use as a push button ignitio

fredsanford740t

Joined Sep 11, 2009
The original thread can be found here;

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=9058&page=3

Success!!! It works perfectly. Im wondering one more thing. Is there a way I can add a little daughter board to this so that I can control the led in the switch Im using? What I was thinking would be to make something so that the single light would flash slow when it is in ACC, faster in IGN and after start was pressed it stays on solid. I have the circuits already to make an led flash so thats not a problem its switching between them that Im trying to figure out. I figured I may need to use another decade counter and just diode the led outputs to a single pin on the clock pin of the decade counter. woth that done I can trigger two flasher circuits on Q0,Q1 and just straight out on Q3. This may work it may not but it sounds logical. If you got an idea on how I can do this my setup will be complete. Thanks so much Soren for this I am forever in your debt
Did you ever get a reply to this? I'm going to be adding this to my '96 Volvo 850. I would like to have an LED readout to indicate what "position" the circuit is activating. I would prefer an led readout like the newer Prius; 1st press Red (ACC on), 2nd press amber, 3rd press green.

Also what voltage and amperage rating is the push button? I would like to use either a factory defrost switch or an illuminated power button from a desktop computer.

Thanks in advance to everyone! I have been searching for this for about a year now!

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Did you see that Soeren's 2nd schematic had LEDs in it to show the state?

The push button switch itself is very low current; under 2mA. However, it must have a common with NO and NC contacts. Someone tried a switch that just had NO contacts; it didn't work very well.

fredsanford740t

Joined Sep 11, 2009
Did you see that Soeren's 2nd schematic had LEDs in it to show the state?

The push button switch itself is very low current; under 2mA. However, it must have a common with NO and NC contacts. Someone tried a switch that just had NO contacts; it didn't work very well.
Thank you... That's precisely what I wanted to know. I did see the places on the PCB for the LEDs shortly after I made the first post. I was too busy after that to let you guys know.

It's really nice to be able to use a low current switch :) I'm an automotive technician so I'm used to dealing with high current rated switches for the starting circuit.

I do have a few more questions but they will have to wait till tomorrow. Thanks again!

fredsanford740t

Joined Sep 11, 2009
Sorry it took so long to get back to this thread.

The questions I was going to ask are; Can someone tell me where I can get all of the parts to build this circuit, can someone here construct this project here for me and for how much, if not, can those whom have successfully completed this project give me a source list of where the purchased the parts to build and prices?

Thank you in advance