Old Tektronix vs new Owon

MicBeaudoin

Joined Dec 13, 2011
Hello!

I'm new to electronics and I need an oscilloscope, however I can't pay more than about 300$.

I've seen good comments about this one on the internet:
http://www.saelig.com/whats_hot/PSSA002.htm

I also found an old but working analog Tektronix oscilloscope 2215A on Ebay.

Both are about 300$.

I think that the Tektronix is probably of much better quality, but the Owon looks like it has a lot of features. Yet I don't trust cheap chinese stuff lol.

Which one do you think would be better for light usage(i'm studying electrical engineering)?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You are comparing an apple and an orange.

The Tektronix 2215A is a analog CRT scope.
The PDS5022S is a digital scope. At that price I would choose the digital scope, hands down.

Redstone2

Joined Oct 21, 2010
I have the OWON:
http://www.tmatlantic.com/e-store/index.php?ELEMENT_ID=1072
Ask for free shipping.

The drivers for my purchase:
Automatic measuring, making the learning curve easier.
Autmatic scaling and capture.
Got a warranty and not a sold "as is".

Works like it should and meets MY needs which. Did have a problem and had to return but the warranty process was quick and easy through the dealer. All got worked out.

Good Luck,
Tom

jrm

Joined Oct 11, 2011
I also have the Owan and don't have a lot of complaints. I purchased it from the same place and was impressed with their shipping speed. The only thing I would advise is if you can stretch your budget to $329 get the 60mhz version. The display used in the 60 is supposedly a nicer TFT with a lot wider viewing angle. On my unit the display contrast washes out a bit as it warms up. There is a wheel on the panel to correct it so it's not a huge deal.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I'm "old school" and love Tektronix equipment. The 2215 is a great analog scope. Replace all the enectrolytic caps, clean the pots & switches, and it'll be good for another 20-30 years. It's hard to go wrong with a Tek scope.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I suspected Wookie would say something like this. We have a number of Tektronix 2213, 2215 and 2225 scopes and they are not bad but they don't build them like they used to. I have two Tektronix 422 scopes on my workbench still going strong.

The advantage with the DSO is they can handle one-shot events. You will have a hard time viewing low repetition rate signals with an analog scope.

Before DSO came out I would never let anyone else take away my analog HP 1703 storage scope. There were many tough jobs I had to fix and the storage scope saved my skin. Now the DSO makes the storage scope obsolete.